Cuberite Forum
Hunger Games - community-driven live tutorial - Printable Version

+- Cuberite Forum (https://forum.cuberite.org)
+-- Forum: Plugins (https://forum.cuberite.org/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Plugin Discussion (https://forum.cuberite.org/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Hunger Games - community-driven live tutorial (/thread-1296.html)

Pages: 1 2

Hunger Games - community-driven live tutorial - xoft - 01-02-2014

We have a Hunger Games plugin in github, donated to us by Fankins. However, from what I can tell after reading the code briefly, it is set for a very specific world, rather than being a general-purpose plugin. If one was to use the plugin on a different world, they would need to change things non-trivially There's also leftover code from various previous versions of the plugin, so it's not clear whether the plugin uses Ini-files or SQLite (or both). As such, it needs so much rewriting that it will almost be a new one when we're done with it.

I'd like to take this opportunity to make this a community-based live tutorial. Are there people here who'd like to learn more about writing plugins for MCServer and programming in general, and would like to take part in this? My general idea is that I'll provide the hints and insights about what to do, and I'll let people discover and write code on their own, mostly. Yes, in other words, I'll commandeer you around and you'll do all the dirty work Smile

RE: Hunger Games - community-driven live tutorial - NiLSPACE - 01-02-2014

I still want to learn more about SQLite Smile Maybe this is an opportunity?

RE: Hunger Games - community-driven live tutorial - xoft - 01-02-2014

I'm not sure, you are too advanced for this. Of course, you can take part, but you'll probably be bored most of the time anyway.

I am aiming this more for beginners, both to MCServer and to programming.

RE: Hunger Games - community-driven live tutorial - NiLSPACE - 01-02-2014

I'll take it as a complimentBig Grin

RE: Hunger Games - community-driven live tutorial - Taugeshtu - 01-02-2014

How about making a plugin while commenting the process, so it would be a video tutorial? Narration could be done after recording and editing as well. Repeating steps would be left of after being shown once or twice, same goes for debugging (though it's better to keep crazy bugs hunt in, so beginners know how to squash them)

RE: Hunger Games - community-driven live tutorial - tonibm19 - 01-02-2014

I want to learn more on plugins (especially I want to learn SQLite)

RE: Hunger Games - community-driven live tutorial - xoft - 01-02-2014

I hate video tutorials, because they force you to watch more or less the whole thing, even if you need one tiny bit of information.
No, my goal instead is to introduce a handful of people to the world of programming on a simple yet (hopefully) attractive topic. And it won't be only writing code, let me tell you this in the very beginning Smile

It seems I have inherited some teacher genes from my mother, so let's see if I can put them to some good use.

RE: Hunger Games - community-driven live tutorial - tonibm19 - 04-26-2014

I wanted to learn SQLite for using with plugins Undecided

RE: Hunger Games - community-driven live tutorial - xoft - 04-26-2014

I guess now that HungerGames is more or less done now, if we ever revive this "tutorial", we'll need a new topic, a new plugin to make.

RE: Hunger Games - community-driven live tutorial - pikachu784 - 04-26-2014

HungerGames was revised by STR_Warrior, maybe we could implement SQL in that.