Cuberite Forum
My version of a plugin repository - Printable Version

+- Cuberite Forum (https://forum.cuberite.org)
+-- Forum: Plugins (https://forum.cuberite.org/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Plugin Discussion (https://forum.cuberite.org/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: My version of a plugin repository (/thread-1591.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: My version of a plugin repository - xoft - 08-26-2016

Can't PHP execute OS scripts?

RE: My version of a plugin repository - PureTryOut - 08-26-2016

Yes it can

RE: My version of a plugin repository - tigerw - 09-18-2016

(08-24-2016, 03:03 AM)DrMasik Wrote:
(08-24-2016, 02:55 AM)tigerw Wrote: ...
It seems like the plugin repository is based on the same design as Ports, just with different names for things and different content. We have plugin owners who can modify plugins they submitted, and can also make new ones.

I think you are not right. Anybody who have githum login can post plugin in plugin repository. FreeBSD port collaction can update only port mantainer. You mut first allow post plugins in old style (some as I'm) and after some success plugins - allow access to the official Cuberite plugin repository. It's li Linux pkg system too Smile

So would you suggest a system whereby plugins are posted in the forum first, and if, and only if, they get enough votes, they can then be added? If so, how do you think about GitHub stars as a way of voting?

RE: My version of a plugin repository - tigerw - 09-18-2016

(08-26-2016, 06:19 AM)xoft Wrote: Can't PHP execute OS scripts?

Well, I was making a joke.

RE: My version of a plugin repository - PureTryOut - 09-18-2016

(09-18-2016, 06:58 AM)tigerw Wrote: So would you suggest a system whereby plugins are posted in the forum first, and if, and only if, they get enough votes, they can then be added? If so, how do you think about GitHub stars as a way of voting?

All way too... complicated... Seriously, just add the ability to the existing plugin repository to upload plugins manually (without needing a Github account), like how Bukkit does it. Maybe add the option to view plugins by author/uploader.

RE: My version of a plugin repository - xoft - 09-18-2016

Nah, GitHub is fine and it's not like you couldn't put your plugin there, even if you use a different provider for the development.

What we need more is proper UX. The plugin list is a joke, seriously. Adding a plugin is slow and buggy. There's nothing in the plugins' descriptions. There's no documentation about what info the repository extracts and uses.

RE: My version of a plugin repository - tigerw - 09-19-2016

(09-18-2016, 09:19 PM)xoft Wrote: Adding a plugin is slow

True, but making multiple network requests to GitHub on a free web instance is inherently slowTongue

(09-18-2016, 09:19 PM)xoft Wrote: There's nothing in the plugins' descriptions.

What do you mean? It shows whatever the plugin author provided in their README file and the Info.lua Description field.

(09-18-2016, 09:19 PM)xoft Wrote: There's no documentation about what info the repository extracts and uses.

I suppose that the message above the 'Add entry' button in the add plugin page isn't visible enough. Where would you suggest I place this?

Also, I've added a releases tracking/download system using GitHub releases. Also added a downloads counter.

RE: My version of a plugin repository - xoft - 09-19-2016

1. Why make the network request at the server, when they can be done client-side, and the server can just receive and verify the final repo choice?
2. Icon? Screenshots? Commands and ConsoleCommands? Permissions? Short description vs the long description?
3. There's nothing above the "Add entry" button. There's a bit of info above the "Submit" button on the AddEntry page, but that's really really hidden. There should be a dedicated page for it, especially once you start extracting more.

How about sorting? Searching? List per author?

(09-19-2016, 04:42 AM)xoft Wrote: 1. Why make the network request at the server, when they can be done client-side, and the server can just receive and verify the final repo choice?
2. Icon? Screenshots? Commands and ConsoleCommands? Permissions? Short description vs the long description?
3. There's nothing above the "Add entry" button. There's a bit of info above the "Submit" button on the AddEntry page, but that's really really hidden. There should be a dedicated page for it, especially once you start extracting more.

How about sorting? Searching? List per author?

1. I am hesitant to add JS (see issue on GitHub), not least because that's one more thing to have to maintain
  2. Icons are implemented, screenshots not. I was under the impression that commands and permissions went in README, like what WorldEdit does. I'm showing all the descriptions I can find. Which are you referring to?
  3. OK.

Alright, alright, I'm doing this when I'm free :P