Cuberite Forum
Could I have some performance test data? - Printable Version

+- Cuberite Forum (https://forum.cuberite.org)
+-- Forum: Cuberite (https://forum.cuberite.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.cuberite.org/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Could I have some performance test data? (/thread-1888.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Could I have some performance test data? - leozzyzheng - 04-26-2015

Hi, I'm a developer searching high performance MC server. Cause my server would be thousands of players , even the Spigot cannot satisfied me. So I find MCServer which is written by C++, after searched google, I can't find useful performance test data , could anyone show me some performance test comparing to CraftBukkit/Sigot? Thanks advance ! Heart

RE: Could I have some performance test data? - NiLSPACE - 04-26-2015

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

We haven't done many tests, except a test with ~140 players by Howaner. We don't have any real statistics though.

RE: Could I have some performance test data? - leozzyzheng - 04-26-2015

(04-26-2015, 02:00 AM)NiLSPACE Wrote: Hello, and welcome to the forum.

We haven't done many tests, except a test with ~140 players by Howaner. We don't have any statistics though.

It's so nice of you to reply me so fast.
I have read this thread, it seems the performance of ram is awesome and the cpu is a little high, I can not see which cpu the author used.

But it also indicate that the crash is a little bit often to MCServer ?

If I change from Sipgot/CraftBukkit, the plugins and mods would have C++ version? If not, how dost the cost of development comparing to Bukkit plugins/mods ?

RE: Could I have some performance test data? - worktycho - 04-26-2015

The main reason we haven't got any data is that no one has yet produced a better way of load testing minecraft servers than just loading up a lot of clients which is extremely intensive work (you'll run out of compute resources for clients long before exercising a good server unless you have a lot of machines). So there aren't much in the way of benchmarks. Just semi anecdotal stuff like Howeners test. We'd love to see some stats if you could produce a test.

MCServer can be a little unstable. Especially if you have entities or simulators enabled like redstone. Badly written plugin's can also cause a crash, so it's worth to test some plugins first.

I'm afraid you can't use the plugins and mods from Bukkit or Spigot. It's not only that the language is different, but especially the architecture. If you want a mod or plugin from Spigot/Bukit/Vanilla the author (or somebody else) has to completely rewrite it as either a Lua plugin, or integrate it in the server itself.

(04-26-2015, 02:06 AM)worktycho Wrote: The main reason we haven't got any data is that no one has yet produced a better way of load testing minecraft servers than just loading up a lot of clients which is extremely intensive work (you'll run out of compute resources for clients long before exercising a good server unless you have a lot of machines). So there aren't much in the way of benchmarks. Just semi anecdotal stuff like Howeners test. We'd love to see some stats if you could produce a test.

I should choose aa appropriate server to do the next step, if everything work great, the max of on-line players would be more than 1,000,000. At that time, I will contribute my test result.Smile

(04-26-2015, 02:11 AM)NiLSPACE Wrote: MCServer can be a little unstable. Especially if you have entities or simulators enabled like redstone. Badly written plugin's can also cause a crash, so it's worth to test some plugins first.

I'm afraid you can't use the plugins and mods from Bukkit or Spigot. It's not only that the language is different, but especially the architecture. If you want a mod or plugin from Spigot/Bukit/Vanilla the author (or somebody else) has to completely rewrite it as either a Lua plugin, or integrate it in the server itself.

How dose the number of developer contributed plugins/mods for this server ?

(04-26-2015, 02:13 AM)leozzyzheng Wrote: How dose the number of developer contributed plugins/mods for this server ?

I'm afraid I don't understand your question.

(04-26-2015, 02:17 AM)NiLSPACE Wrote:
(04-26-2015, 02:13 AM)leozzyzheng Wrote: How dose the number of developer contributed plugins/mods for this server ?

I'm afraid I don't understand your question.

Forget my poor English , I mean are there many developers working for plugins/mods to this server? because I need much plugins and mods.

RE: Could I have some performance test data? - worktycho - 04-26-2015

Is that 1,000,000 players in a single world or across multiple worlds through Bungeecord? Because if its one world you're going to need to modify whatever server you use to handle it. So that means working with Mojang, or using an open source server like MCServer. What are you trying to do with it and what are you're estimated server specs? Because that many clients is at the scale where you have to look at tuning the kernel in order to handle the data, or going to a cluster, and I don't know of any server that currently supports distributing a single world across multiple servers.

I haven't seen any mod developers (as in write the mod in the server code), but there are a few people writing plugins actively (including me ^^). Most of our plugin's are pretty small though. I think the biggest plugin we currently have is either WorldEdit, or Gallery.