Cuberite Forum
Let's talk about rain - Printable Version

+- Cuberite Forum (https://forum.cuberite.org)
+-- Forum: Cuberite (https://forum.cuberite.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.cuberite.org/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Let's talk about rain (/thread-2137.html)

Pages: 1 2

Let's talk about rain - Jammet - 09-26-2015

I've been playing Minecraft for ..everish now, and we've had this topic before. I ran a plugin that pretty much stated the obvious: it's raining 50% of the time. In Cuberite.

Here are a few points I just need to thow in here.

* Every single player on my server has at some point in time stated it's raining too much.

* Nobody liked rain, generally, but doesn't want it like, gone completely.

* Since I stopped the rain manually *once* as admin/mod in the console, people keep requesting that I TURN IT OFF immediately once it starts again. Dodgy

* I don't think it's been raining that much on Vanilla. This may actually not be true, but everybody agreeing that it's raining too much has to be coming from somewhere, and everyone was getting there - all on their own.

I know it's a real first world problem but ... one last time, I hope someone can get reliable info on how much/often/long this is done on Vanilla to match Cuberite with that data. It's like, 90% of the time I connect to the server, the next thing I do is toggling the rain off. I walk 10 meters, I toggle the rain off. I do a few tasks, I turn the rain off.Tongue

[Image: Cat+in+rain.jpg]

RE: Let's talk about rain - NiLSPACE - 09-26-2015

I created a plugin once that pretty much implements a little more advanced weather command: https://github.com/NiLSPACE/WorldUtilities

With that you you can turn off the weather changes completely. I'm afraid you can't make rain periods longer or shorter with it. I haven't used the plugin in a while, so it might not even work anymore. And I don't like the code, but whateverTongue

RE: Let's talk about rain - worktycho - 09-27-2015

The way cuberite's rain works at the moment means you are guaranteed to get rain for at least 8 mins out of every 24. or at least 1/3 of the time is raining. I suspect that is a little on the high side.

RE: Let's talk about rain - Jammet - 09-27-2015

It's actually quite spot-on 50/50. I've got the statistics Wink. Thanks for suggesting the WorldUtilities, though turning the rain off permanently is not what people are looking for, and it might actually at some point turn into "Does it *ever* rain on this server?" Wink.

I hope it's possible to chance the rain behaviour in Cuberite at some point. It's like we're living in Meghalaya, India right now.

I wonder if something such as a simple script would help that would silently(no server message or logging) switch the weather back to clear, every X minutes or so. It'll still rain and rain and rain, but at least that way it'll stop raining, more often. :]

RE: Let's talk about rain - worktycho - 09-27-2015

The 1/3 of the rain is absolute minimum. The expected case with the current setup is ~50% rain or thunder storm. And I doubt a simple script would help as at the moment rain will stop after at most 14 min 7/8 of the time. There is 1/8 chance that rain storm will become a thunder storm, in which case it will continue for at least 10 min more, with another 1/8 chance of repeating at the end.

If I had the mean and deviations for vanilla sunny, rainy and thunder periods, this would be a simple fix. But until we have the stats the only thing we can do is fiddle with the numbers until it feels right.

RE: Let's talk about rain - xoft - 09-27-2015

Or we could make those numbers configurable via the ini files and let people adjust them, if needed.
I have a feeling that Vanilla wet weather is more like 1/5 of the entire time.

RE: Let's talk about rain - DrMasik - 09-27-2015

(09-27-2015, 03:07 AM)xoft Wrote: Or we could make those numbers configurable via the ini files and let people adjust them, if needed.

That's the right decision

RE: Let's talk about rain - LogicParrot - 09-27-2015

Github reference.

RE: Let's talk about rain - Jammet - 09-27-2015

Chances of rain .... I've really tried to find some sort of numbers. Official numbers, percentages, but I got nothing. Sad

RE: Let's talk about rain - xoft - 09-28-2015

So I've browsed the vanilla 1.7.2 sources, looking for the rain code. It's a bit different than ours, but I think the numbers can be made more or less similar.
Basically, vanilla picks a number between 12,000 and 24,000 and uses that as the length of the rain (between 10 and 20 real-world minutes), and then picks a number between 12,000 and 180,000 (10 and 150 real-world minutes) and makes it sunny for this interval.
At the same time, it selects a number between 3,600 and 15,600 (3 and 13 real-world minutes) for thunder and between 12,000 and 180,000 (10 and 150 real-world minutes) for sunny. So vanilla can actually go from sunny directly to thunder and back; Cuberite can only go to thunder through rain.