Cuberite Forum
Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation - Printable Version

+- Cuberite Forum (https://forum.cuberite.org)
+-- Forum: Cuberite (https://forum.cuberite.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Development (https://forum.cuberite.org/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation (/thread-409.html)

RE: Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation - xoft - 06-02-2012

the default is 96 (6 chunks), though I might still increase that up a bit.

Biomal height generator added. Finally when the biome says "mountains", the terrain is mountains, and if biome says ocean, the terrain is water Smile

RE: Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation - NiLSPACE - 06-02-2012

nice now only river=river and beach=beach and biome height generator is finished??

Rivers and beaches are actually the domain of the biome generator. The height generator has nothing to do with it.

I don't think I'll be touching that in the nearest future, I'm more concerned about composition now. Deserts should get sand, swampland shouldn't have sand, etc.
And of the most impotance - we definitely need a biome generator cache, because the new height generator uses 9 chunks worth of biomes for each chunk generated, resulting in about 5 times slower chunk generation.

Quote:And of the most impotance - we definitely need a biome generator cache, because the new height generator uses 9 chunks worth of biomes for each chunk generated, resulting in about 5 times slower chunk generation.
owww and that is difficult to fix??

(06-02-2012, 10:20 PM)xoft Wrote: Biomal height generator added. Finally when the biome says "mountains", the terrain is mountains, and if biome says ocean, the terrain is water Smile

i don't know if i did something wrong but take a look at this picture (r536)
i uploaded the world.ini to (had to change it to txt to upload to the forum)

You're explicitly using the Classic height gen. You need to set HeightGen=Biomal in your [Generator] section.

And of course, if you have some leftovers generated by the previous versions, they won't get overwritten - you need to delete the "region" subfolder.

Yes, the speed was fixed quite easily. I'm now doing some statistics to see what the best cache size is.

ok thanksBig Grin
is the slow generating fixed in r537? https://code.google.com/p/mc-server/source/detail?r=537
THE MOUNTAINS ARE SO AWSOME!!

Wow, those caches are really worth every single keystroke spent coding them. I added both a biomegen and a heightgen caches, and now the generator is twice as fast as before I even started working on Biomal. And at only 35 KiB of RAM usage more, it's an incredible deal Smile

So, yes, the slowness has been fixed. It has been even over-fixed Wink

awsome it looks like i am in single player but then with terrain i likeBig Grin it just generates the terain so fastBig Grin sadly when i explore allot (and i do that with this terrain) after a while i get kicked with the error: too many packets in queue Sad
whats the diffrence between r537 and r538??

RE: Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation - xoft - 06-03-2012

"Too many packets in queue" means that the network is too slow, unable to transfer packets fast enough from the server to the client.

Are you using any mod in the client? For faster movements perhaps? Though that wouldn't probably work with vanilla servers, so no-one would bother writing such a mod, I guess.

Rev 538 got a second cache, which made world generation even faster. Nothing else has been changed.