Cuberite Forum
Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation - Printable Version

+- Cuberite Forum (https://forum.cuberite.org)
+-- Forum: Cuberite (https://forum.cuberite.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Development (https://forum.cuberite.org/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation (/thread-409.html)

RE: Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation - Taugeshtu - 11-12-2012

Quote:Otherwise known as caves
Yeah, yeah, I know. But I want them! All those cuddly cute little bubbles of air somewhere around you in ice-cold stone... Oh, and I wanted glaciers too! With such flexible OreNests those would be my dream made real *_*

Quote:- what is a parameter from the section is missing? What default to use? Especially for Size and Count
use Iron's one, this guy is too rocky to bother Wink
Quote:- what if the orenest is declared in the [Generator].OreNests, but its corresponding section is not found?
Create one with defaul values that are used now, maybe?

Also, your syntax is better than mine, cheers!

RE: Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation - NiLSPACE - 11-12-2012

Quote:Problems with the syntax:
- what if the orenest is declared in the [Generator].OreNests, but its corresponding section is not found?
- what is a parameter from the section is missing? What default to use? Especially for Size and Count

if there is something missing you could do that it would not generate that type of vein at all but shows a message in console.

RE: Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation - xoft - 11-12-2012

Death bushes added Smile

I like "scolding the user" better than applying some defaults that may be off Smile Alright, that could be done. Anyone up for the job?

RE: Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation - xoft - 12-16-2012

I'm trying to adjust the wormnest caves a bit - they generate large caves too often. I'd like them to generate more smaller caves and only very rarely a large cave. Trying to find a good noise distribution function for the radius. Also I'm considering adding a random "distortion" - some points in the cave system will get a very different radius than their neighbors, thus creating domes and dead-ends.

What I've noticed about vanilla cave generation is that it seems to be taking ground height into consideration, most caves don't go higher than ground level. This might be a good feature to somehow emulate in a later revision of the generator.

RE: Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation - NiLSPACE - 12-16-2012

it would be nice to see more smaller caves becouse there are indeed too many large caves.

I have made the caves smaller, but now we get too many "holes" in the floor - just one block dug from the floor, like this:
[Image: holes.png]

So the spheres are too much spheres Sad

yes, but howTongue
I'm somewhat out of ideas.

Maybe can you create pre-made spheres just like with the trees. With [0, 1] etc

RE: Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation - NiLSPACE - 12-18-2012

You think that would work?