Cuberite Forum
Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation - Printable Version

+- Cuberite Forum (https://forum.cuberite.org)
+-- Forum: Cuberite (https://forum.cuberite.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Development (https://forum.cuberite.org/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation (/thread-409.html)

RE: Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation - NiLSPACE - 03-30-2013

the server generates 1x1 glass pillarts at the big rooms with dirt as the floor. and the server generates too many mineshafts at one place.
for the ocean floor: in vanilla the ocean floor is flat exept for some islands that sometimes occur.

RE: Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation - xoft - 03-31-2013

The glass is there for me to be able to find the mineshafts easily. There are too many, but that's a configuration setting which I'll tweak later, for now I'm actually quite happy having a lot of them at the same place - it's easier to see if there's a small generation error somewhere, such as a misplaced fence or such.

RE: Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation - NiLSPACE - 03-31-2013

ok Smile i was also wondering if you are going to add chest(or minecarts) and spawners

I think that for now I'll add regular chests instead of the minecarts with chests, because we don't have a proper UI for the minecart with chest. Spawners are probably not gonna happen for a while, they need some extra protocol magic that is not yet implemented and they will not work unless we tackle mob spawning, which is too close to the AI work that Keyboard is now doing, and I dont wanna collide too much.

(03-30-2013, 10:21 PM)STR_Warrior Wrote: and the server generates too many mineshafts at one place.

Oh, it's already settable, forgot about it. Set [Generator].MineShaftsGridSize to a larger number. It specifies the average number of blocks that the dirt rooms are spaced apart, so the larger the number, the less often there are mineshafts.

those MineShafts are awsome but what is the best order to set the structures and finishers? i now have
Structures=Ravines,WormNestCaves,WaterLakes,LavaLakes,MineShafts,OreNests,Trees
Finishers=SprinkleFoliage,Ice,Snow,Lilypads,BottomLava,DeadBushes,WaterSprings,LavaSprings,PreSimulator
EDIT:
Also it seems like the MineShaft stairs are not implented yet.    

EDIT2:
It also might be usefull to make MineShafts able to override water blocks otherwise you can get things like this:    

Stairs are the last piece of mineshaft that's missing, I hope I'll have them finished by today's evening.

Good point with the water. I'm still more concerned about this:

Maybe you can let it make walls if there is water next to it.
EDIT:
Also it seems that it doesn't do the wood blocks right sometimes.    
EDIT:
Btw how does this look like:    

RE: Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation - xoft - 04-01-2013

(03-31-2013, 08:14 PM)STR_Warrior Wrote: Also it seems that it doesn't do the wood blocks right sometimes.
What's wrong with that? The vanilla does that as well - it has a random chance of the top middle planks block being present.

(03-31-2013, 08:14 PM)STR_Warrior Wrote: Btw how does this look like:
Dunno about the looks, but it's quite NOT doable. How do you define the exact circumstances when to replace planks with cobble? Especially with chunking...

RE: Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation - NiLSPACE - 04-01-2013

(04-01-2013, 12:31 AM)xoft Wrote:
(03-31-2013, 08:14 PM)STR_Warrior Wrote: Also it seems that it doesn't do the wood blocks right sometimes.
What's wrong with that? The vanilla does that as well - it has a random chance of the top middle planks block being present.
realy? I never saw it ;P maybe the change that it isn't there is bigger than in vanilla?

RE: Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation - xoft - 04-01-2013

Vanilla has random stone and ore blocks in the top layer of the corridors, so it's kinda masked, but it happens. I don't know the exact chance in percentage, but I believe it's about 50 %. Of course with MCServer it is adjustable, we can even make it user-settable via the INI file, if so desired.