Cuberite Forum
Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation - Printable Version

+- Cuberite Forum (https://forum.cuberite.org)
+-- Forum: Cuberite (https://forum.cuberite.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Development (https://forum.cuberite.org/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation (/thread-409.html)

RE: Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation - NiLSPACE - 04-01-2013

about the new stairs in R1334. there might be a bug in there becouse i found like 20 of them but 18 were dead ends. the other 2 lead into crossings.

RE: Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation - xoft - 04-01-2013

The stairs don't connect further yet, so dead-ends are to be expected. I've just finished the code for further connections, will be in the svn momentarily, net connection allowing.

those stairs look awsome btw. i found one floating in the air so it was made of woodBig Grin you don't see that in vanilla Smile
so then now only chests, torches, minecart tracks and cobwebs and the MineShafts are finished?

Don't forget those random ceiling blocks in the corridors. I'm a bit concerned about them, because I don't exactly know how to code that. It's not that we don't have a random generator, but so far, each chunk could be regenerated exactly as it was before; this would be the first thing that would not regenerate 100% exactly. On the other hand, if we store all of that randomness somewhere for regeneration, it's gonna eat a non-trivial amount of memory.

RE: Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation - bearbin - 04-01-2013

Maybe seed the PRNG with the seed+chunk coords?

We have two PRNGs in MCServer, MTRand and cNoise. Seeding a MTRand is a rather costly operation, definitely not good to do that too often while generating. cNoise is simple to seed, but plugins don't have access to it, so the function that uses it could not be exported to the API.

Ugh, those mineshafts go all the way to the voidTongue Better fix that.

Wanna see something fun? Try setting height generator to Flat, FlatHeight to 2 and composition generator to SameBlock. Remove all structure generators and finishers except for Mineshafts.

Code:
[Generator]
Generator=Composable
BiomeGen=Constant
HeightGen=Flat
FlatHeight=2
CompositionGen=SameBlock
Structures=MineShafts
BiomeGenCacheSize=0
ConstantBiome=Plains
HeightGenCacheSize=0
SameBlockType=stone
SameBlockBedrocked=1
Finishers=

lol look what i found:    

EDIT:
also all the chest are facing the same direction.

Floating RailBig Grin

Yeah, there's no way to get rid of it - if a Mineshaft places tracks alright and then something else carves through the underlying block.
However, it's possible to make a finisher that will fix this (and possible floating torches).

RE: Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation - xoft - 04-11-2013

Is it just me, or are there a bit too many torches in the abandoned mineshafts? And they seem a bit too scarce.