Cuberite Forum
maybe an interesting fact - Printable Version

+- Cuberite Forum (https://forum.cuberite.org)
+-- Forum: Cuberite (https://forum.cuberite.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Development (https://forum.cuberite.org/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: maybe an interesting fact (/thread-447.html)

Pages: 1 2

maybe an interesting fact - NiLSPACE - 05-28-2012

if you have an mod installed in single player that will add an block. and if you place that block and then place that world in MC-Server the block is still visableBig Grin
i have finite liquid mod installed and i placed the world in MC-Server and the Finite liquid water is still thereBig Grin

RE: maybe an interesting fact - xoft - 05-28-2012

Yes, MCServer doesn't care about existing blocks too much. It doesn't crash on unknown blocks, but it doesn't know how they interact, either, so for all its purposes such blocks behave just like stone.

RE: maybe an interesting fact - NiLSPACE - 05-28-2012

and if you use pickblock you get the item and you can place itBig Grin
maybe can someone let mods work if they could write an plugin that let the blocks do what they should doBig Grin that would be an easy way to install modsTongue

RE: maybe an interesting fact - Luksor - 05-29-2012

Should MCServer really allow unknown blocks? What about the other clients that don't have the mod installed? I think that will make them crash.

RE: maybe an interesting fact - NiLSPACE - 05-29-2012

1 way to find out Smile
yes it crashes Sad

RE: maybe an interesting fact - xoft - 05-30-2012

I believe that's the same with the vanilla server - if you give it a world with unknown blocks, I'd expect it either to crash itself (if it doesn't have the mod installed), or the client crashes when it receives the world (and it doesn't have the mod installed).

I don't think MCServer by itself should do any kind of data sanitizing, because, after all, you can write plugins that can provide the mod functionality, so it can work with the modded clients. Of course there's still the issue of non-modded clients crashing, but hey, there's no solutino to that.

RE: maybe an interesting fact - Luksor - 05-30-2012

There is a solution - don't let clients place the blocks that aren't implemented. That's what vanilla server does I believe.

Btw. there's a little bug with redstone:
[Image: redstonebug1.png]

EDIT: Yeah the vanilla server prevents me from placing unknown blocks, I think it should be implemented in MCServer too.
If not, we have a nice anti-griefing solution:
- Build your awesome base
- Mod your client to have a new block with ID 1337 and send the .jar to your friends
- Place this block in the base
- Griefer (or other unknown person) is coming but his game is crashing again and again
- Profit! Smile

RE: maybe an interesting fact - xoft - 05-30-2012

Anti-griefing can be done much more elegantly:
- Create two worlds with Anvil storage
- Using your OS's tools, make the default world's "region" folder a hardlink (Win: Junction) to the other world's "region" folder
- Set your default world's storage schema to Forgetful

Now you and your friends can build in the alternate world, but whoever is in the default world, they can see the world, but if they make changes to it, the changes won't save (and you won't even see them) Smile
Best part: They will see their changes, so they'll *think* they're griefing, when actually they're being trolled big time Smile

RE: maybe an interesting fact - Luksor - 05-30-2012

Yeah, that's pretty cleverBig Grin but you need to be an admin to do that. And remember - this bug can be used for other things than just protection.
For example: if you are a griefer you can place unknown blocks at the server's spawn and other places making the server unplayable. Keep that in mind.Tongue

RE: maybe an interesting fact - NiLSPACE - 05-31-2012

i found annother interesting bug Smile i think you need to see it for yourself so what you have to do is go to an snowy biome place a chest on top of the snow and you see there are 2 chest's. and now break them in survival mode. see what happens Smile