MCServer history?
What about the rest of the Alpha Devs? Tell us your story Smile
Thanks given by:
I joined some three years ago. I've been thinking about the algorithms used in MineCraft for some time and wanted to see if I could develop something similar, especially with terrain generation. I first joined MineServer for a while, but the community was rather unhelpful, especially for non-Linux devs; it was a pain just to set the compilation environment, so I left after a while. Then I found MCServer and stayed. I started by meddling with threading issues, then some networking-related stuff, and finally the server was good enough that I could play with the terrain generator. What I consider my biggest achievement, though, is finally understanding the Lua C API enough to meddle with plugins.
Thanks given by:
I joined sometime in the summer of 2013. I wanted to work on an open source project and MCServer seemed to be in need of assistance. I've done a load of code maintenance and cleanup and written some plugins but most of the time has been spent on stuff like the website, the buildserver, moving the project over to GitHub and other support things for the project.

I also introduced tigerw and worktycho to the project.
Thanks given by:
I started it, woo! Although it was incredibly educational, it became a giant time sink and I made it open source. After that it kinda took offBig Grin And I got bored with Minecraft. So now I'm just lurking around the forums
Thanks given by:
Let's honor FakeTruth by generating the most "Thanked" post in the history of MCServer.
Thanks given by:
Might as well chime in.

I joined five years ago, around the time of the Bukkit DMCA controversy. I ran a Minecraft server at the time, and found Cuberite in a list of Craftbukkit alternatives on the Bukkit forums. Since I liked the performance of Cuberite, and had a potato of a VPS at the time, I decided to move my server away from Spigot. Over time, I got more involved with different parts of the project, mainly the website and plugins.

Thanks to Cuberite, I got into programming and system administration. While I did port my server to Paper after running Cuberite for a few years, I still enjoy contributing to Cuberite every now and then.
Thanks given by:
Ah yes, the Bukkit drama.
Thanks given by: