Looking for Android help
(09-27-2017, 08:12 PM)Ycamler Wrote:
(09-26-2016, 12:54 AM)xoft Wrote: Since I'm quite terrible with searching, I'd like to ask for your help.
I'm looking for a way to transfer contacts to from Android to computer to manage, calendar and texts (and possibly more) on my Android phone through a computer. I'd like to be able to edit them, make a backup of them, and selectively copy them from one phone to another.
Now the problems:
1. I don't want a synchronization. I want an editor that works on the current data.
2. I don't want a cloud solution. I trust no-one and don't want my personal data somewhere on the web.
3. The solution has to be open-source. As I said, I'm paranoid and trust no-one.

Can you recommend anything? So far I haven't been able to find an app that would satisfy all of my requirements. The only solution that seems usable to me is MobilEdit, but it's proprietary (and I used to work for them, so I really really don't trust it Smile

Alternatively, I'd like to write such an app, but I'm not so good with Android development, last time I tried something was with the 2.3 version, it's completely different nowadays. So if someone wants to help me make this happen, by providing the Android-side of things, let me know.
Well, accroding to your needs , you can install a Android data manager or Android data assistant , 
They are able to manage Android data , and you can transfer messages .contacts calendar and texts to computer for backup . you can even edit them on computer ,
You mean that i need to transfer contacts and SMS to computer , then we can manage these data on computer , 
Thanks given by:
Those two don't satisfy point 3 of my requirements - open source.
Thanks given by:
So xoft, the problem about auto reconnecting is mainly that you can't expect to have the same ip address always. So the only way to work around that issue would be using udp broadcasts and they are very limited, not just for receiving but also in terms of security. It just doesn't meet my expectations. As for ux: the final piece of software can be packaged and works cross platform. If you criticize the use of electron, I use it mainly because of the cross platform and because of my experience with web design and using what node offers.
Thanks given by:
We could try to add some smart guesses later on, once the basics work. Such as trying to connect to the last known IP, or using client-supplied hostname for DNS lookups, or a special cloud-based "pairing" server. I'm not sure what you mean by the UDP security. Announcing the device presence, revealing its name, doesn't seem too bad to me.

As for the UI, it was just a nitpick on my part, don't take me too seriously. It's just a personal grudge about some obscure softwares that are non-trivial to install. As a BFU, I expect to double-click an installer and end up with a program shortcut in the start menu, that's all.
Thanks given by:
The problem with udp is basically that you don't have the statefulness of tcp that means no complicated handshake that involves cryptography can be used, and the term automatic includes not asking the user. I think it is highly problematic to automatically create a session to a potentially malicious device without even telling the user and, what you too proposed, syncing (although my system would work totally without syncing as it works directly on the phone without a local copy to keep in sync), which would even involve sending data across the wire.
Thanks given by:
Oh wait, I thought you used UDP just for the discovery, and then regular TCP for the actual connection. Just like Minecraft Smile
Thanks given by:
(10-12-2017, 01:34 PM)Qascker Wrote:
(09-27-2017, 08:12 PM)Ycam on Wrote:
(09-26-2016, 12:54 AM)xoft Wrote: Since I'm quite terrible with searching, I'd like to ask for your help.
I'm looking for a way to backup contacts to computer , calendar and texts (and possibly more) on my Android phone through a computer. I'd like to be able to edit them, make a backup of them, and selectively copy them from one phone to another.
Now the problems:
1. I don't want a synchronization. I want an editor that works on the current data.
2. I don't want a cloud solution. I trust no-one and don't want my personal data somewhere on the web.
3. The solution has to be open-source. As I said, I'm paranoid and trust no-one.

Can you recommend anything? So far I haven't been able to find an app that would satisfy all of my requirements. The only solution that seems usable to me is MobilEdit, but it's proprietary (and I used to work for them, so I really really don't trust it Smile

Alternatively, I'd like to write such an app, but I'm not so good with Android development, last time I tried something was with the 2.3 version, it's completely different nowadays. So if someone wants to help me make this happen, by providing the Android-side of things, let me know.
Well, accroding to your needs , you can install a Android data manager or Android data assistant , 
They are able to manage Android data , and you can transfer messages .contacts calendar and texts to computer for backup . you can even edit them on computer ,
You mean that i need to transfer contacts and SMS to computer , then we can manage these data on computer , 
The Android assistant doesn't work for me . it can even be described as bad ,especially in data transfer......
Thanks given by:
The program is under way, if you can wait for it.... I'm doing it with a friend who doesn't have that much experience as I do. I probably could finish a very first version over the course of this weekend, but 1. I wanna do it with my friend and 2. I don't have the time for this. But anyway, I'm looking over what he does anyway, plus the security is OKTongue that was what I made sure so far.....
Thanks given by: