Random Chitchat 2018
Yeah, there's a lot of development in Minecraft and too little in Cuberite Sad

We're in for a terrible rewrite:
https://github.com/mrkite/minutor/issues...-372810068
Thanks given by:
I've tried the 1.13 snapshot 18w16a, and I'm rather surprised. First, it's pretty unstable, how could have they botched up so many things that worked well before? Such as shift-click in the furnace UI. And the client very often stumbles, puts back two blocks I've just dug, then removes them again. On the functional side of things, is it just me, or are there waaaayy less ores? I've been mining like crazy and I've got only 2 diamonds so far, normally I'd have at least a full stack by this time. Iron is rather sparse, too, and I can see the coal ore pockets are about half the diameter of the old ones (meaning 1/8 of the coal amount).

Also, I've noticed that Windows builds haven't been working since January, and no-one pinged me. Since I've uninstalled all MSVC versions except for 2017, it wouldn't've worked even if I did run the Jenkins agent. Working on that now...
Thanks given by:
The builds are working again.
Thanks given by:
(05-01-2018, 07:01 AM)xoft Wrote: I've tried the 1.13 snapshot 18w16a, and I'm rather surprised. First, it's pretty unstable, how could have they botched up so many things that worked well before? Such as shift-click in the furnace UI. And the client very often stumbles, puts back two blocks I've just dug, then removes them again. On the functional side of things, is it just me, or are there waaaayy less ores? I've been mining like crazy and I've got only 2 diamonds so far, normally I'd have at least a full stack by this time. Iron is rather sparse, too, and I can see the coal ore pockets are about half the diameter of the old ones (meaning 1/8 of the coal amount).

Also, I've noticed that Windows builds haven't been working since January, and no-one pinged me. Since I've uninstalled all MSVC versions except for 2017, it wouldn't've worked even if I did run the Jenkins agent. Working on that now...

I believe the ore issue was fixed in a recent snapshot.
Thanks given by:
It is no secret I always wanted to hack a bunch of cuberite instances together in order to achieve the so desired horizontal scaleability/redundancy. Well, the more I read the more I understood how inefficient my ideas wereTongue

Doesn’t mean I’ve given up though. Right now I’m trying to learn Erlang so I can use that to implement networking logic and whatever else fits the Erlang distributed model. For everything else, piggy back to Cuberite code (world generation comes to my mind). I also would like to experiment with an external plugin API, maybe something gRPC based? If people complain about Cuberite plugins being lua I don’t even wanna know what they would think of an Erlang based API.

As for osx-builds, long story short I had a combination of hardware and software failures (personal life happened too), after everything, I found myself locked out the build system so I can’t register this Mac as a node again. Gotta ping bearbin.
Thanks given by:
It's sad to see this project.... I don't wanna say die, but it kinda is dying....

Thanks for that honest comment Yan, wish you good luck!
Thanks given by:
Stuff like that happens, Yan. I hope you'll manage to sort things out and push through this slump. I think this project is worth it.
Thanks given by:
Dying? pfft. nothing of that sort. Being busy, possibly with a little burnout though? Maybe.

Also the codebase is huge and unwieldy, so forgetting a lot of how it works is very easy, so it's a bit of a chore getting back into it. :P
Thanks given by:
Also, the upcoming implementation of the global palette to fully realise blockstates might pose a bit of a problem for 1.13 compatibility. I'm assuming the internals of Cuberite isn't getting rewritten to remove data values (unnecessary abstractions belong to slow languages like Java after all), but the translation in the protocol layer will need to be figured out.
Thanks given by:
(07-16-2018, 06:51 AM)tigerw Wrote: I'm assuming the internals of Cuberite isn't getting rewritten to remove data values

It's seems unlikely. However, I'm guessing there will come a time when it becomes literally impossible to represent the block states in one nibble per block.  Hell, we're already there with beds getting their own block entity just to store the colour.
Thanks given by: