Random Chitchat 2012-2016
But I didn't really like it ;(

I changed my avatar to STR to prevent possible confusion when someone used "@STR" or something similar.
Thanks given by:
(05-14-2012, 07:03 AM)xoft Wrote: The first version of the new lighting is in SVN. It's working basically - the lighting thread lights chunks that are queued, and the lighting operation produces (hopefully) correct lighting. The calculation is surprisingly fast, it's almost as if something's missing - 400 chunks lighted in under 2 seconds? But the output seems correct...

Now it needs to be properly "plugged in": chunks need to be lighted before being sent to a client, chunks' light needs to be saved to file (or not saved if it's invalid). Block changes need to invalidate lighting, and a function for getting a block-light, sky-light and actual-light of a block needs to be written. This function may fail, so its callers must be made aware of that fact. Just lots of tiny changes, but finding them will all be difficult.

So, FakeTruth, how do you like my new cLightingThread? Smile

Also, I know the correct word is "lit", but I'm intentionally using "lighted" - the source is kinda easier to understand then. Also, searching for Light will yield all places where Lighted is used.

This is awesome!
Thanks given by:
Are you quoting a 2 year old post ?
Thanks given by:
YepTongue
Thanks given by:
(01-03-2015, 03:09 PM)ThuGie Wrote: Are you quoting a 2 year old post ?

Yes, I did. I was checking on the lighting of blocks and did see the date. Smile
Thanks given by:
I just got your postcard xoft, it's really nice of you to send it Smile Thanks so much!

(It didn't arrive late, I was just away for most of the christmas period.)

I'll definitely get back to programming MCS a bit more after my exams finish in a few weeks.
Thanks given by:
Great, so it seems all the postcards I've sent have arrived, so I must have pieced the addresses together correctly Smile
Thanks given by:
As a side note, any rough timeline on the network api?
(I'm just curious, not saying do it faster! Smile )
Thanks given by:
I'm studying the various libraries already available to see which one would work the best for us; so far I like LibEvent the most; then I'll try hooking it up into the server, if it compiles seamlessly. Then I'll have to rewrite some of the internals within the server itself. And finally I'll write the Lua bindings.

Unfortunately I won't be as fast as usual, due to my current personal problems. If there's someone who would like to take over all this, feel free to say so.
Thanks given by:
Sounds great xoft. Unfortunately I have exams the next few weeks so I won't be able to help out really.
Thanks given by: