Problems with banners and potions
Hello, welcome to the forum.
Some potions are not implemented, some work only partially. Generally, those added in 1.8 client are much less likely to work.
Banners are not implemented at all, so while you can craft them (the recipe is already present), there's no code that handles their placing.

Generally speaking, using a 1.7 client will give you a much more "complete" experience, as we haven't had much time to add the new 1.8 features. If you decide to go this way though, you will most likely need to wipe the current map - if there are any 1.8 blocks or items already present, they will crash the client.

I'm running an MCServer instance on the RasPi, which has specs even slightly lower than yours. I have disabled quite a lot of the server, but that is because it's a special-purpose world, the Gallery server, so I could afford things like non-functional fluid simulators, no redstone simulator and no mobs. If you cannot afford to lose any of these, then the best bet is to lower the maximum viewdistance, as that will decrease the load on both CPU and RAM. Use the [SpawnPosition].MaxViewDistance setting in each world's world.ini file to enforce a limit; the number you set it to is the number of chunks in each direction around the player to be sent to the player and "kept alive" by ticking. I think 4 should be the minimum that is still (somewhat) playable and has the least burden on the hardware.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Problems with banners and potions - by Peter_V - 01-28-2015, 02:40 AM
RE: Problems with banners and potions - by xoft - 01-28-2015, 02:49 AM