Another project besides MC-Server.
Hi,
I think some areas in MCServer are generic enough, but some are not.

For example, we could easily adapt to a completely new network protocol (as long as it is reasonably distinguishable from current protocols).
However, there is not much we can do about the world height being limited to 256 blocks. Lifting that limit would be so difficult that it would be impractical.
Even worse, the block behaviors, such as torches dropping when their supporting block is broken, or redstone altogether, that is quite impossible to change.

So unless your game implements minecraft-like physics in a minecraft-like world, there's not much hope of cooperation.

Oh, and let me stop you before you spend too much time on this project - if you're trying to develop a minecraft clone, don't bother unless you already have a big team of devs ready. There were numerous attempts to clone minecraft, opensource ones and commercial ones, all failed, mainly because it's unexpectedly a lot of work to actually make the client. Not to mention that people look at your project and say, "hey, minecraft is better, I'm not using that."

Sorry for these harsh words of discouragement, but that's how reality works nowadaysTongue
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Another project besides MC-Server. - by Wolftein - 02-08-2013, 08:29 PM
RE: Another project besides MC-Server. - by xoft - 02-08-2013, 08:38 PM
RE: Another project besides MC-Server. - by xoft - 02-08-2013, 11:54 PM