questions about modding/plugins/etc
Hi. Managed to get Cuberite compiled from source on my 2008ish MacMini, seems to run great. The villages look cooler than vanilla, but there's no villagers? Interesting.

Anyhow, I'm interested in a (semi ambitious / foolhardy ?) server mod to create something that is MUD-like. I played ArcticMUD pretty extensively 95-2002ish, and my kids are super into Minecraft and I enjoy playing with them, but would like to add some RPG-like elements to the game. Cuberite seems like it'll be much easier to create plugins/mods for, but I'm not a codemonkey... I spent a couple years in comp eng so I grok the basic concepts, but I'm a lawyer by profession. Here's some of the things I'm thinking about trying to do, and I'm curious if it's even something that's possible with a plugin on the server-side.

1. Randomized RPG style stats (I will use Goodman Games' DCC as a template, because it rules and is the best D&D edition ever): 3-18 Str/Agi/Sta/Per/Int/Luck ... 

2. Classes selectable at XP level 1: warrior, wizard, thief, cleric, elf, dwarf, halfling (upon death, you delevel to XP 1, not 0, so you don't lose your class selection, and avoids the potential abuse of intentional changing of classes, I think. Alternatively, just use hardcore mode, but that may be a bit much for 8-12 year olds hehe). Probably need to have a "reroll to 0" option if you do want to change, but you lose all your gear, achievements, etc.

3. Abilities/Magic Spells: some special skills like Stealth, Healing, Turn Undead, some use of existing stuff like nightvision for elves/dwarves, and an abbreviated list of magic spells for wizards/elves. Spells will use components, and I expect to use a system kind of like Ultima 5, where you craft a spell effect to set off (which will be slightly randomized, per DCC style).

4. Inventory/slot tweaks. These will fluctuate for each character based on stats (Str/Agi), too.

5. More mobs and items. Actually, I'd also love to port the Roguelike Dungeons mod for Forge into Cuberite, because it's really pretty cool.

I looked at items.ini and crafting/brewing/furnace.txt, but I'm not entirely sure about the feasibility of simply adding new stuff to these. I'm also not entirely sure about whether it's possible to create randomized stats, not sure if there's any plugin-level access to the server's RNG. 

Huh
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
questions about modding/plugins/etc - by meteor_bro - 09-06-2017, 06:19 AM
RE: questions about modding/plugins/etc - by xoft - 09-06-2017, 06:01 PM
RE: questions about modding/plugins/etc - by xoft - 09-07-2017, 06:10 PM