Cross platform C++ plugins by supplying source code
(10-25-2014, 02:04 AM)bearbin Wrote: It would be cool, but almost impossible to do with no fuss to the user.

I don't think there's much need for it anyway, as lua is pretty fast. If you wanted more speed, the easy thing to do would just be to plug in LuaJIT.
I know, just for the sake of coming up with ideas I did not list the difficult/negative parts.

(10-25-2014, 02:26 AM)worktycho Wrote: One significant issue with doing this is dynamically linking the plugins. The executable would have to be re-linked or we would have to manually load the dynamic library's, using OS specific APIs. Also due to the fact that most platforms do not have a standard C++ ABI, the interface would have to be in C with a C++ wrapper in the plugin.
I am talking about dynamic linking yes, not static. I don't see how this is a significant issue. It's easy to overcome. Plugins would only need a single C interface function, or maybe two if you want to add a backwards compatible versioning system of the plugin API.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cross platform C++ plugins by supplying source code - by FakeTruth - 10-25-2014, 02:37 AM