Is Cuberite Multi-threaded? A short explanation.
(08-21-2020, 06:08 PM)NiLSPACE Wrote: This is a nice writeup, but it lacks sources and details. Do you have any sources to backup the claim that C++ is 3x faster than Java? And if you have a source, is there evidence that that speedup is the same if you compare other types of code? I have no doubt that most of the time C++ is faster than Java as it's AOT vs JIT, but claims like X is 3x faster than Y always make me sceptical.

Having 100 players or 450 players isn't a big deal if all clients stay in the same place and the view distance is low. Xoft gave a writeup on a worst case scenario when allot of people are online with no chunk overlap: https://forum.cuberite.org/thread-1888-p...l#pid19670 He gave the server the advantage that the viewdistance would be set at 4 chunks, which is really small. I'd say 8 chunks is the minimum for a nice experience which would mean instead of every player having 81 chunks around them they would have 289. In reality, there would be allot of chunk overlap, but it would only take one player who goes exploring and you have more 289 chunks in memory which have to be ticked.

Even if I'm a bit critical here, I do like these kinds of writeups. They explain how different Cuberite and the Java edition are in terms of their underlying architecture. I just think that the claims in the post should have sources to back it up and give more details on the benchmarks which were run.

I got that number from here, simple google search

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2015/...er-than-c/

"As a rule of thumb, when you convert optimized C++ to Java, the code is about 3x slower."
"As a rule of thumb, when you convert Java to C++, the code is about 3x slower."

If this is true, then the inverse would be true as well.  In this case, the code isn't being "converted," but is in theory "optimized C++" code.

Maybe not the best reference to pull from, but I was just looking for a tangible number to use. The horrendous performance of the Java servers makes it easily believable too.

As for the 100 players, the entire world was force-loaded, and was the size of a LARGE lobby server, as it was used for an event.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Cuberite Multi-threaded? A short explanation. - by Greaper88 - 08-21-2020, 06:28 PM