Getting started at coding (plugins)
I was in a similar place a few years ago. Cuberite plugins were the thing that initially got me into software development. I started looking into the source code of existing plugins, tinkered a bit with them, and made minor contributions to them (mostly just style fixes in the beginning). Eventually, I got to the stage where I was comfortable creating my own small plugins, and made a few for my then Cuberite server.

Everyone is different, but for me, it really helps just sitting down and working on something I’m excited about, and learning things as I stumble into problems. If you have enough patience, you should eventually start understanding more and more. You need to be ready to get your hands dirty though, only watching a few videos probably won’t get you far.

TLDR: existing plugins are your friend

Edit: once you get the gist of the basics, it's not a bad idea to start learning more theory about a language or development in general. It can really help you to use better concepts, and ultimately write better things down the road.
Thanks given by: UnNotchslayer1 , PCPlayerLV

Messages In This Thread
RE: Getting started at coding (plugins) - by Mathias - 09-18-2020, 07:36 PM