Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation
Things that are marked with an asterisk are implemented. So biome generators available are Constant (same biome everywhere) and Checkerboard (squares of biomes).
First I want to implement more or less what the server had before, move it into the new architecture (and improve on it). Only then will I start doing new stuff, when I see that the new architecture is good enough. I'm almost there already - just need to finish Trees and add SprinkleFoliage, MarbleCaves and some ores.

I already see some advantages and some disadvantages to the new architecture:
+ Many different types of terrain can be achieved by combining different parts of the generators together
+ Implementing a new generator is a bit easier, since the generators are highly specialized
+ The chunks are generated complete at once (unlike in the old architecture, where trees were added after a delay, which caused clients not to see them in newly generated terrain)
+ Lighting can be generated along with the new chunks, rather easily
- The generation is a bit slower
- Some parts get calculated several times over and over (e. g. generating trees makes the neighboring chunks' biomes and height array get calculated over and over, up to 9 times per chunk). A cache might improve speed, but eat up even more memory.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation - by xoft - 04-13-2012, 05:57 AM