Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation
Finally, I managed to get all the side-tracking distractions done, and I can start work on the new generators.

For the new generator, I need new types of connectors (vertical with rotation support). So I needed to be able to generate them in the Gallery plugin running on the Gallery server. But for that, I needed to add visualization for them so that they display properly in WebAdmin. But for that, I needed to change MCSchematicToPng. And that takes ages to compile for the RasPi, so it would be a much better idea to run it on a different computer and have the rendering requests delivered to it via network. But for that, the network protocol needed to change (so that it contained the actual area data - the remote computer has no file-level access). And then I needed to implement that protocol in GalExport and Gallery plugins. And while I was changing them, I realized that it would be much better to store the area previews in a single DB file, rather than in a thousand tiny files (better last-modification-time tracking).

Now I finally have all that behind me and can get working. First, I'll add support for the new connector types into the PieceStructures generator, to make sure the idea works, and to make it possible to use proper vertical connections between areas. And then finally the all-new ConnectAllStructures generator that works similarly to PieceStructures, but has additional limitations on the placed pieces (all their connectors must be connected to a counterpart in another placed piece), which will finally make the underwater temple and the woodland mansion possible in Cuberite.

If I'm right, we'll even have a better woodland mansion than Vanilla - ours could, theoretically, generate an atrium inside it Smile
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation - by xoft - 02-11-2017, 08:14 PM