Developing on Linux
I'm considering MC Server as a project I may want to contribute to. However, while I don't mind using Windows, per say, I don't want to donate money to Microsoft to unnecessarily purchase Windows and Visual Studio licenses. I do want to continue to develop from all computers I interface with at home, which all have Linux, and also run Linux in VMs so I can easily snapshot and backup.

In the Java world, where I've been developing since 2002, all the IDEs run great on Linux. But, I haven't developed in C++ since 2002. And now that I primarily use Linux (Ubuntu and Fedora on desktops and HTPCs, Centos on servers), I'd want to continue to do developmen on Linux.

So, with this being a C++ project, is is possible to develop on Linux with something other than a colorful text editor? I'm spoiled today with code completion and other features of Eclipse and other Java IDEs. Have any of you developed for this project using Eclipse for C++, for instance?
Thanks given by:
I don't think there's any developer on Linux, currently, but that shouldn't pose too much of a problem. MCServer is known to compile on Linux, we use a "simple" makefile for compiling, so any IDE should be able to work as well. However, it probably means you're on your own when solving some of the smaller problems. It'd be great if you manage to set something up, perhaps an eclipse project / workspace / whatever they call it nowadays, to commit that to the repo as well, and maybe even write a little howto guide in the wiki.
Apropos, the wiki should have bits and pieces of information, though scatterred around.
Thanks given by:
You could try using Code Blocks. I don't really like it compared to Visual Studio but it is a C++ IDE
Thanks given by:
I tried going the CodeBlocks way, it didn't work out of the box, I couldn't get the projects set up correctly, so I abandoned it. But then, I didn't try hard enough, since I still prefer MSVC, every other IDE just sucks, especially at debuggingTongue
Thanks given by:
(08-21-2013, 02:55 AM)xoft Wrote: I tried going the CodeBlocks way, it didn't work out of the box, I couldn't get the projects set up correctly, so I abandoned it. But then, I didn't try hard enough, since I still prefer MSVC, every other IDE just sucks, especially at debuggingTongue

I've been playing with Eclipse because I've used that or things built on it (Rational Application Developer) for years for JEE development. It doesn't help that I have to "re-learn" C++, and have never used Eclipse for C++. If I get it to compile, run and debug inside Eclipse, then I'll definitely look into committing it (pull request). The nice thing is Eclipse will also be an option on Windows, being a cross-platform IDE.
Thanks given by:
Hello,

>Have any of you developed for this project using Eclipse for C++, for instance?
Not a good experience of CDT, but i heared it evolved alot.

I've done some minor work two month ago, on this project using emacs under Linux. If you are used to linux command line environment, you should already know the tools you like (for any development).

But it's far away from Eclipse-way.

Anyway, you'll not find a C++ IDE that is comptetive with Java-IDE, because of the language himself. C++ syntax is too complicated and not reflexive enough to be browsed in a dynamic way as Java does.
Thanks given by: