I'd like to join
Hey there, I'm a new guy. I've finished up what's about equivalent to a year long C++ course (Strostrup's Programming and Principles in C++). I'd like to do some real coding and help out. Since MCServer is open-source, I'd like to start here and begin fixing bugs!

So, I was just wondering how I should formally make myself known and submit simple patches in the form of Git diff files.

And, Git Bash should work well, right?
Thanks given by:
Are you familiar with GitHub? That's where the current code base is. You would need a GitHub account.
Git Bash should be fine.
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2014, 03:14 AM)SamJBarney Wrote: Are you familiar with GitHub? That's where the current code base is. You would need a GitHub account.
Git Bash should be fine.

Ah, okay. I was waiting till I figured out how to actually properly join a group, as opposed to randomly downloading and editing code. I take it I just use a "pull request?"
Thanks given by:
Well, you will need to fork the repository, apply your code changes to that, and then use a pull request to get your changes to up for approval. Have you used github before, I'm assuming?
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2014, 03:48 AM)SamJBarney Wrote: Well, you will need to fork the repository, apply your code changes to that, and then use a pull request to get your changes to up for approval. Have you used github before, I'm assuming?

No, I haven't used Github before. That's why I'm not sure of the process and ended up asking here. I'm currently reading the help documentation on github.
Thanks given by:
Read up on making pull requests first, then read the README, COMPILING, and CONTRIBUTING files in the MCS base repository Smile

Finally, let the bugfixing begin! (that was a reference)
Thanks given by:
Welcome.
As the other have already pointed you in the right direction(s), I'll just add that the GitHub issue tracer has a special tag for tasks that we consider suitable for newcomers, search for issues with the "easy" label, if you see something you'd like to work on, drop a line there saying so; if you're not sure about how to go about that, feel free to ask there or start a new thread here in the forum.

Good luck.
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2014, 07:36 AM)xoft Wrote: Welcome.
As the other have already pointed you in the right direction(s), I'll just add that the GitHub issue tracer has a special tag for tasks that we consider suitable for newcomers, search for issues with the "easy" label, if you see something you'd like to work on, drop a line there saying so; if you're not sure about how to go about that, feel free to ask there or start a new thread here in the forum.

Good luck.

Thanks!
Thanks given by: