Trying to fix this for kids, can't log on using other computers
Rainbow 
Trying to fix this for my kids. Could use some help. Can not seem to log in on other computers but the computer that the server is running on can reach the server through mine craft. I can reach the world and play on the computer running the server.

When I am on the computer that is running your sever I can go to multiplayer and see the server running. When I click edit it says it is running on 192.168.1.140

I believe this server runs on 25565

So I go into my router (e3200 cisco) and put in 25565 in both port slots (in and out) and the forwarding address is 192.168.1.140 I choose both tcp udp.

I check my ip online for this computer and its 24.blahblah

I then go to another computer on my network and put in various addresses trying to reach the server.
I try:
192.168.1.140:25565
24.blahblah
24.blahblah:25565
localhost

None of those work.
Then try to log into the sever on the pc running it with
http://localhost:8080/
says needs authorization

I searched the mc server site for a faq, or explanation on how to go in, or what the defaults passwords were. I did not find it.
I went to the computer running the server and turned off the avast antivirus and the windows firewall (win 7) Still can not reach it.

I am trying to make this work for my kiddos, thanks if you can help!
Thanks given by:
Hi, welcome to the forum
the setup should be the same as with vanilla server, if you can run it and connect to it, then running MCServer instead of the vanilla server should work for you without any more changes.

You seem to know the IP address; just in case you wanted to verify it, in windows, press Win+R keys together, this will show the "Run" dialog box, enter "cmd" (without quotes) as the command, press ok, a black console window should open. Type in "ipconfig /all" and it should list all your network adapters together with their IP addresses. In linux, you should use the "ifconfig" command with similar results. If you have a home network that connects to the internet via a single point (router, cable modem etc.) you most probably have NAT enabled on that device and all the computers are in a single LAN network. IP you get this way from external sites, such as google.com or whatismyip.com is the outer IP address of the router, not the inner address of the computer. In such case, your IP should be something like 192.168.x.y or 172.16.x.y or 10.x.y.z ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address#..._addresses )

To connect to the server, you should enter just this IP address in the "Server address" field in Minecraft. There's no need to specify the port, because it uses the 25565 port by default. If you set your server to a different port (you will know about this, the server lists the ports it's running on when it starts up), then you'll have to add the port number after the colon.

You do not need to modify any settings on your router unless you want to make the server visible from the outer internet. The router should automatically pass through local traffic between the LAN computers without any problems.

To use the webadmin interface, you need to configure the allowed users first. This is done by editing the "webadmin.ini" file next to the server. It should contain all the instructions you need; basically you need to add a section "[user:<username>]" containing a value "Password=<MyPassword>". Note that this file is whitespace-sensitive, you must not add any spaces or tabs in the values.
Thanks given by:
Why are you port-forwarding for a local in-house server?
Thanks given by:
wow thanks so much. Yes i am port forwarding on my router. The kids have some friends not connected to my local router they would like to play with. I set up the mc server on the pc with win 7. When I went to the iMac on the same network I tried to log in and on the pc win 7 mc server it said 192.168.1.142 is using an invalid protocol. That was the ip from the mac so at least i saw it tried to get through.
I then researched this on the forums to find the invalid protocol error. and it said that the mc server did not support the newest mine craft, however later down the thread it said that this had been fixed.
I also flashed my e32oo cisco to the tomato firm wear and got rid of the cisco firm wear. In the tomato firm wear I made sure that ump and nat were ok to use. Then i disabled the firewall on the router.
Tried it again and still can not reach the server on the pc. The mine craft on the pc can reach is fine. My next try I think I will install the mcserver and put it on the IMAC. Its a intel 64 iMac with about 8 gigs.
Maybye I can get it to work when I put it on the iMac. This has been tough to make work. I have tried YAMs on th epc and it worked briefly. Then I read up about servers and they said the mcserver was very good. The kids want me to set up a bukkit server which I did on the iMac but could not get it to work.
Thanks given by:
ok, when i install the server on the pc I can open mine craft on the pc and log in. However I can not log in on any of the other pcs or macs.
I set up the server on the iMac. it says it runs successfully and says the 25565 port is ok.
However I run mine craft on the iMac and can not get on the server running on the iMac

i did update java on both the pc and the macs, I also made sure mine craft was up to date
Thanks given by:
If your hosting this at your home, it's most likely from the router firewall. You need to port forward the server. This depends on your ISP and your router type. Look up how to port forward on your router and ISP.

This is most likely the problem, I had the same problem. Also check what your public IP is, you may be trying to connect your your private IP.

Also, update frequently, MCServer is continuously getting needed updates that should fix many parts of the server.

EDIT: This is definitely because people on other networks are trying to connect to your private IP. Check http://www.whatsmyip.org/ to find out your public IP or just search Google.
Thanks given by:
It sounds like he's managed to port forward fine. There's a few things I can recommend for now though -
  • Don't run a server on a Mac unless you compile yourself, because the binaries are out of date.
  • Make sure that the computer running the server does not change IP when the router is rebooted or the PC is rebooted - some routers have DHCP servers that change the IP, some not. If it changes, set up a static IP out of the dynamic range for the PC.
  • Make sure any firewall software on the PC side is not blocking the port (bad antivirus apps, improperly configured firewall).
Thanks given by:
As for the Minecraft versions, the server supports only the official releases - versions 1.2.5 through 1.7.5 and, experimentally, 1.7.6 through 1.7.9. The weekly snapshots are not supported, so you might want to check your Minecraft launcher on the other computers that can't connect, what version it is set to use. You can do so by clicking the "Edit profile" button in the launcher screen's bottom left corner, and look at the "Version Selection" area of the shown dialog. The "Use version" combobox should have one of the release versions, not a weekly snapshot.

If you are using version 1.7.6 - 1.7.9, you might want to update MCServer to the newest version, since that protocol has been updated somewhat recently, so just to make sure you've got the latest changes.
Thanks given by:
When I run the server on the mac, I can not connect on the mac . It gives me this error:
[09:55:44] Saved all chunks in world world
[09:59:17] ShutdownReadWrite: Error shutting down socket 27 (127.0.0.1): 57 (57: Socket is not connected)
[09:59:30] Client "127.0.0.1" uses an unsupported protocol (lengthed, version 5)
[
I am using the very latest version of mc server.
As far as compiling my self I have never done that, and do not know anything about how that works.
I can run mc server on the PC and I can connect on the pc when I do, but not on any of the other macs or pc s.
When I try the server on the pc mc server sees it trying to connect and says "unsupported protocol"
I turned off any firewalls on the pc. I also turned off the firewalls on the router. I disabled the anti virus on the pc
All the minecrafts are running 1.7.9
Thanks given by:
MCServer doesn't completely support Minecraft 1.7.9, but 1.7.5 should work fine.
Thanks given by: