Erlang
Anyone here familiar with the programming language, Erlang? It's one of my favorite languagesBig Grin
Thanks given by:
I heard about it, and saw that someone made a Minecraft server with it, but that's it.
Thanks given by: PCPlayerLV
Its a pretty sweet language for writing servers in, due to how reliable it can be. Its a functional language, running on top of its own VM, designed for massively parallel server applications.

I've seen a couple of the minecraft servers written in it, but they've never really had any success because the projects were dropped due to lack of help or lack of ambition.
Thanks given by:
The reason I ask is I am busy writing a script-like language on top of the Erlang VM to test something I suggested somewhere on this forum. Can't really remember where right now...

Anyways, the jist of it was storing JUST the changes made to a chunk rather than the entire chunk, and then when a chunk was required, generate the chunk, apply the changes, and then calculate the lighting.

So I was hoping there was someone on here that was interested in helping finish up the language so we could see how feasible the idea is.
Thanks given by: PCPlayerLV
A scripting language built on top of an interpreted language wrapped around a compiled language? Don't go too crazyTongue

Did you do any measurements before actually jumping in? The lighting calculation is by far the slowest part of the entire process, loading a chunk is much, much (much much much) faster than having to recalculate the light. Just sayin' Smile
Thanks given by:
I'm not writing a language on top of another language. I'm writing a scripting language that compiles down into the expected bytecode for the VM. I don't lose any of the functionality of Erlang, but I get all of the benefits of the scripting language.

And yes, I did know that lighting took the longest, and it is much quicker to load a completely finished chunk from disk. However, I wanted to see how little could be stored on disk without compromising visible performance on the client's end, and I felt that Erlang would be the best place to test this due to its threading system.

Believe me, this is just a project to satisfy my own curiosity. And who knows, it may develop into a sister server for MCServer, but I highly doubt it.

Plus, Erlang is awesome. Smile
Thanks given by:
I agree on the Erlang. Also for the deltas, one place I could see this being useful for is cheap VM servers where the IO is really slow.
Thanks given by: