MCServer vs Vanilla
Hello,

as i am searching for an nice bukkit alternative (i guess i'm not the only one), running a vanilla 1.8 server atm. But pure vanilla is bit to less. Now i find this nice project here.

With
- simple server setup with nice webinterface
- easy to use plugin structure
- up to date development
- quick support

thumbs up for this (i like Wink )

But now during my testings i found some points which i find bit strange and not really nice to have.

- if i import a map from vanilla server, all the "not yet loaded" chunks ofc are new generated, but there is n edge between these old and new areas which is not acceptable. Well, i can do it without the import, but would be nice.

- the mobs behavior is fairly strange, creeper are exploding even if you leave them alone again. Mobs running circles around, if you hit them, they jump one block high in slow motion... lots of water spawning as well. This seems to be totally unnatural from what i know

- redstone seems to be missing some features like comparators not working and also the flow is slow

- throwing eggs looks like nothing happend, but if you wait few seconds adult chicken appearing

i am running this at a windows 2008 server, debian server, and kubuntu tower. all same behavior after default setup.

I really would like to participate here in this community and using this mcserver for my ppl. Also i already started to learn how to create plugins. But the above mentioned points actually avoiding the usage for me.

Now my question is:
- are these known issues?
- any possibillity to change settings or something other to change?
- did i just something wrong (or am i to stupid)?

i hope for good news, cause i like this project.
nouse
Thanks given by:
Short answer:
Yes, no, no Smile
Thanks given by:
(11-20-2014, 04:07 AM)LO1ZB Wrote: Short answer:
Yes, no, no Smile

OK, is there any schedule when this is fixed or are these long time "bugs" aka features?
Thanks given by:
The edge is there, because MCServer is using a generator, which is written from scratch.
We didn't got any AI, so thats the reason for the random behavior of mobs.
There is no schedule for an AI.
Redstone is being worked on from time to time, but it's very complicated and most of us do not understand what the code is doing.
Throwing eggs are entities, so I think this will be fixed, when mobs are being fixed, too.
Please forgive me when something isn't 100% accurate.
Thanks given by:
(11-20-2014, 04:19 AM)nouseforname Wrote:
(11-20-2014, 04:07 AM)LO1ZB Wrote: Short answer:
Yes, no, no Smile

OK, is there any schedule when this is fixed or are these long time "bugs" aka features?

There is still much to do in mc server. If you want to have something like bukkit, take a look at spigot. They want to release a stable version of 1.8, in the next time.

http://www.spigotmc.org/threads/1-8-test...ins.34636/

regards,
Seadragon91
Thanks given by:
(11-20-2014, 04:41 AM)Seadragon91 Wrote: There is still much to do in mc server. If you want to have something like bukkit, take a look at spigot. They want to release a stable version of 1.8, in the next time.

http://www.spigotmc.org/threads/1-8-test...ins.34636/

regards,
Seadragon91

Thanks, i saw it already. Actually it doesnt need to be like bukkit at all. It could be better Wink ... i see lot of potential in mc server.

i also dont need a lot of plugins, but the world behavior should be like vanilla and i really need/want the redstone and command block stuff.

Actually i also wanna create an android app in combination with a plugin. for this, i like to have a simple plugin structure.

we will see... thanks for answer Wink
Thanks given by:
hey at lest you have plugins but if you host a vanilla server yes its less buggy there will be kind of boaring

(11-20-2014, 10:41 PM)lostfile1 Wrote: hey at lest you have plugins but if you host a vanilla server yes its less buggy there will be kind of boaring
and unsafe unless you have the white list enabled
Thanks given by:
(11-20-2014, 10:41 PM)lostfile1 Wrote: and unsafe unless you have the white list enabled

for vanilla having the whitelist enabled is a must imho. Anyway, even if i like mcserver already a lot. the whole ingamefeeling is not accetpable for me. And vanilla with enabled command_blocks and fully functional redstone is far away from beeing boring Wink

Actually i do not need lot of plugins, for me most wanted plugins are some "home" and some "chest lock" things. maybe kind of a ranking system, which is actually in vanilla already.
Also some API for webinterface or mobile app would be nice, but also available in vanilla...except the external ingame chat which i really like to have.

To be honest, vanilla is also no option for me, but for now, better than mcserver (from ingame POV)...kinda sad Sad
Thanks given by:
You can lock chests with my SignLock plugin. MCServer already has a ranking system integrated. No need to create a plugin for it. I think someone already made a home plugin, but I might be wrong about that.

What do you mean with an API for webinterface? Plugins can register a tab in it. Also why would you want an mobile app when you can just use your browser? The only reason I could think is that animations could make a website slow, but the webadmin doesn't have any animations (unless a plugin added it in his tabs).
Thanks given by:
(11-21-2014, 05:56 AM)STR_Warrior Wrote: You can lock chests with my SignLock plugin. MCServer already has a ranking system integrated. No need to create a plugin for it. I think someone already made a home plugin, but I might be wrong about that.

What do you mean with an API for webinterface? Plugins can register a tab in it. Also why would you want an mobile app when you can just use your browser? The only reason I could think is that animations could make a website slow, but the webadmin doesn't have any animtions (unless a plugin added it in his tabs).

i think you misunderstood me. i know mcserver do have some plugins already. also a home plugin which i actually started to rewrite for more and better function.

but i also said that the mcserver gameplay is not acceptable for me.

in short terms:

vanilla = nice gameplay, less functions/plugins
mcserver = nice functions, nice backend, but not yet completed

both is not good enough for what i want. if i could choose, i would use mcservers backend structure with the gameplay of vanilla. Wink

why i want a mobile app? cause i can do it Wink
Thanks given by: