Web pages in separate repo
I was wondering if the web pages need to be in the main repo. Can't we split them off into a separate repo? They are somewhat disturbing when viewing the history using gitk or similar tools.
Thanks given by:
Looking at the documentation at https://help.github.com/articles/user-or...ect-pages/, it appears they have ot be in the main repo unless we want to rename the main repo which would break a lot.
Thanks given by:
I don't think so. How does GitHub know that it should serve mc-server.org pages from the MCServer git repo? There has to be a settings somewhere, so we just make that setting point to another repo.
Thanks given by:
Yep, it's very easy to change AFAIK. I think you just need to make a repo of a special name and dump the files in and it should all work.
Thanks given by:
How about we try that for cuberite.org first, and then switch mc-server.org, too? What do I need to change on the DNS side of things?
Thanks given by:
GitHub knows to serve MCServer pages from the MCServer repo because it has the same name as the organisation. @bearbin the problem we have is that the special name we need is what you chose for the main repo.
Thanks given by:
@worktycho no, it does not. The organization is "mc-server", while the repo is "MCServer"
Thanks given by:
I have successfully tried this on the cuberite.org domain, it is currently hosted in the cuberite.github.io repo (the repo name is somewhat arbitrary, it just needs the .github.io suffix)

So I propose we move the main webpage away from the C++ source code repo.

I was wondering, with the old wiki we had a problem with the pages being crippled by spambots. How about if we created a separate repo for wiki.mc-server.org and do wiki-like pages in there, information-wise, but the changes would go through the normal GitHub process of pull requests? It will probably be a bit more involved to make changes, but we'd get rid of the spambots.
Thanks given by:
(02-13-2015, 02:31 AM)xoft Wrote: I have successfully tried this on the cuberite.org domain, it is currently hosted in the cuberite.github.io repo (the repo name is somewhat arbitrary, it just needs the .github.io suffix)

So I propose we move the main webpage away from the C++ source code repo.

I was wondering, with the old wiki we had a problem with the pages being crippled by spambots. How about if we created a separate repo for wiki.mc-server.org and do wiki-like pages in there, information-wise, but the changes would go through the normal GitHub process of pull requests? It will probably be a bit more involved to make changes, but we'd get rid of the spambots.
My gift : create robots.txt and add my text, http://pastebin.com/T5zJXMtu
Thanks given by:
I have a PR open with a new webpage. I will add the robots.txt
Thanks given by: