Quickstart / point me in the right direction
Hi!

I just installed a new server in our server-farm and promised my sons to setup a working minecraft server for them. I thought MC Server looked nice.

I downloaded src, compiled, installed, setup, started.
All working. Good.

Now what?

Please tell me some cool stuff todo.. What plugins should a install? What cool settings/setups should I try? Can I download some pre-made cool worlds and make spawnpoints to them? etc. etc..
I don't play mc myself, but I have 3 sons (!) who do, and I haven't got a lot of time just browsing around not knowing what to look for.

By the way, the server is fairly strong, so if you're interested I can probably host a couple of thousand users.

Cheers!
/Charlie
Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome to the forum Smile

Do your sons like minigames? We do have a few like Paintball, hungergames, Smash bro's and possibly more. If they like building stuff more then I recommend installing WorldEdit. It makes building large structures much easier.

As for the pre-made maps: You can use the same worlds as in vanilla, so you wont have to wory about not having any maps to use. If you choose a redstone map things would become problematic though, because MCServer doesn't have allot of support for redstone.

I hope this answers some questions Wink
Thanks given by:
Thanks!

Yeah, they love those things.. I think I'll try to setup a Hungergames arena, and maybe smash bros. They also love parkour-stuff.

The general idea behind everything seems to be:
1. Install plugin and enable it.
2. Make an arena (is that like a _new_ map? Or just an area on the normal map?)
3. Set spawnpoint and boundaries for the arena.
4. Make stuff in the arena for the plugin.
The "problem" is that point 2 is quite time consuming, so like "dummy maps" for it would be nice, since you then can start with something - just to get a feel for the plugin. Maybe I'll find something when looking around. Right now another server lost the ssh-daemon so I have other stuff to do now. =(

WorldEdit sounds interesting, I'll check it out. Thanks.
(You need a world for the games, as I understand it, and everything that makes that process faster is very welcome! Wink )

"redstone"? Ok, since I don't know what it is I won't bother with it anyhow then, since the support was limited =)

/Charlie
Thanks given by:
You can create an new HungerGames arena in 3 ways:
  • Generate an arena:
    Take an area of newly generated terrain and add walls (With WorldEdit it only takes a few seconds) around it. After that hide some chests (allot). After that you have your arena.

• Manualy create the arena:
    Manualy create an arena. This takes allot of time.

• Download an arena:
    You search for a Hunger Games arena online. Some might have a schematic that you can paste into the world using WorldEdit or MCEdit (outgame tool) others are probably a whole new world. If it's a complete world then you first have to add the world into the MCServer settings.

All you have to do is set things up according to how the plugin describes it (set bounding boxes and stuff).

Redstone is pretty much Minecraft's version of electricity. Some people even managed to create whole calculators or CPU's with them.
Thanks given by:
Ahh.. That's what redstone is.. Ok.. thx.. We looked at the calculator at work. (I'm a Senior Software Developer)

I'll give HungerGames a try this coming week, WorldEdit sounds nice =)
Thanks for giving so clear instructions!

I guess you make jump-points somehow aswell, so you can tell your incoming users to warp somewhere on the grid.. I think I'll work it out.. Wink

/Charlie
Thanks given by:
elgholm Wrote:I guess you make jump-points somehow aswell, so you can tell your incoming users to warp somewhere on the grid ..

Yes, you do that with "/hg add" once you've selected (or just created) an arena.

Glad I could help Smile
Thanks given by:
Regarding Smash Bros, keep your eye out on the plugin release thread for that, a major plugin rewrite is coming. Smile

Also releasing a fairly big Parkour plugin soon.
Thanks given by:
Hello again.

Since I'm running Oracle Linux 7.0 on the server (RHEL clone) I don't seem to be able to just download and use stuff straight away.. Tried downloading the WorldEdit plugin now, but it won't enable. Is there some logfile perhaps telling me why? I tried looking at the screen output (but nothing there).

Maybe I need to download src and compile, but it looks like there's just a bunch of lua scripts.

/Charlie

Ha.. Nevermind.. The server crashed when trying to add a user (with the web interface), and when I restarted it the WorldEdit plugin is enabled.. =)
Thanks given by:
Would you like to help fix the crash? On https://forum.cuberite.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10 (important threads) are instructions for your OS.
Thanks given by:
(03-14-2015, 04:13 AM)tigerw Wrote: Would you like to help fix the crash? On https://forum.cuberite.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10 (important threads) are instructions for your OS.

Well, there wasn't any "crash", and as I wrote a couple of minutes later, the plugin started working when restarting the server.

And, no, there's nothing on this forum concerning "Oracle Linux". Not as far as I can see. As you know Linux comes in many flavors, and mine is a but sour and bitter. Wink

Still up and running. (mc.elgholm.se)
Thanks given by: