Hardware
Just wondering if there is any documentation on recommended PC hardware compared to user base. I am unable to find any info on this subject. i don't even know if the server software is multy threaded, what kind of ram allocation it does, anything like that.
Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome to the forum Smile

We are able to run MCServer on a Rasberry Pi 1 B when disabling some features, so you are able to use it with 512mb
Yes, MCServer is multi threaded.
Thanks given by:
(04-10-2015, 04:23 PM)NiLSPACE Wrote: Hello and welcome to the forum Smile

We are able to run MCServer on a Rasberry Pi 1 B when disabling some features, so you are able to use it with 512mb
Yes, MCServer is multi threaded.

How many users can a PI support? i plan on trying to run a public seerver with as mayn people as possible so i want to be able to plan my user base with the hardware. i can either run it on an AMD A6 5600k wiht 8 gb of ram and a 64GB SSD, which is my current server due to java not being multy thread friendly, the clock speed is quite good. The other option is a dual Opteron Quad core server with 24 GB of ram, the issue with that is the core speed is a bit low and the disks are quite slow. Thanks for the help in any case.
Thanks given by:
Before committing the whole hardware, I recommend doing a small-scale test first, see if the server software supports all of your needs (if you want survival or redstone, you're out of luck - those are quite under-developed currently).

Hardware-wise, I think the CPU is not as much a bottleneck as the RAM. Depends mostly on the players' viewdistance, but I'd approximate one player per 128 MiB of RAM to be safe (8 players per gigabyte). I believe the CPU alone can support hundreds of players without much strain, unless all of them go exploring a single world each one in a different direction, then it'd lag terribly Smile

EDIT: Those are my slightly-educated guesses, please don't take them literally. I have never actually run the server with that many players.
Thanks given by:
(04-11-2015, 03:07 AM)xoft Wrote: Before committing the whole hardware, I recommend doing a small-scale test first, see if the server software supports all of your needs (if you want survival or redstone, you're out of luck - those are quite under-developed currently).

Hardware-wise, I think the CPU is not as much a bottleneck as the RAM. Depends mostly on the players' viewdistance, but I'd approximate one player per 128 MiB of RAM to be safe (8 players per gigabyte). I believe the CPU alone can support hundreds of players without much strain, unless all of them go exploring a single world each one in a different direction, then it'd lag terribly Smile

EDIT: Those are my slightly-educated guesses, please don't take them literally. I have never actually run the server with that many players.

Thanks for your advice, i will run this on my 24GB server. as for the usage it is a limited pre-created area that no one can leave. I am looking to make a survival games/Day-Z type server so exploration and red stone are not a huge deal. Thanks again.
Thanks given by:
That amount of RAM is almost overkill. Smile And if you want a specific plugin to be made for your DayZ server, you can try requesting it, I may just take up the challenge.
Thanks given by: