[SOLVED] How does one create a block break particle effect?
Hello,

I'm attempting to make a block break particle effect occur, but I've had no success. Among a couple alterations, I've attempted to do it with this code:

Code:
world:BroadcastParticleEffect("blockdust_152_0", position.x, position.y + Receiver:GetHeight() / 2, position.z, particleRange, particleRange, particleRange, 0.3, 30)

However, the client only shows the default particle effect, meaning it doesn't work.

Can somebody help me out with this?

Thanks,
Nathan
Thanks given by:
I can't give you a big answer, because it's hard to type on my mobile, but here is an example:
World:BroadcastSoundParticleEffect(2001, a_BlockX, a_BlockY, a_BlockZ, BLOCKTYPE)

I believe it's done like this.
Thanks given by:
(05-04-2015, 08:38 AM)NiLSPACE Wrote: I can't give you a big answer, because it's hard to type on my mobile, but here is an example:
World:BroadcastSoundParticleEffect(2001, a_BlockX, a_BlockY, a_BlockZ, BLOCKTYPE)

I believe it's done like this.

Thanks, that works fine. However, I'd still like to know how one would do this without playing a sound.

Thanks,
Nathan
Thanks given by:
I don't think that's possible. Not because of MCServer, but because vanilla doesn't support it either.
Thanks given by:
I think it might be possible. I think that the cWorld:BroadcastParticleEffect() function needs to be changed to put in block ID for the effect "blockdust" I can do this:

function OnPlayerRightClick(Player, BlockX, BlockY, BlockZ, BlockFace, CursorX, CursorY, CursorZ)
	if BlockFace == BLOCK_FACE_NONE then
		return false
	end
	local vec = Player:GetPosition() + Player:GetLookVector()
	Player:GetWorld():BroadcastParticleEffect("blockdust", vec.x, vec.y, vec.z, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1)
	return false
end

...but I run into protocol errors where the client gets kicked. The client spits out:
java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: readerIndex(38) + length(1) exceeds writerIndex(38)

So it could probably be done without sound. I'm not a protocol expert though, so what I'm spouting out could be crap. Tongue
Thanks given by:
It seems that the protocol got extended in this packet ( http://wiki.vg/Protocol#Particle ) and we didn't notice / implement the change. It shouldn't be too difficult to implement, but the decision about how to interface the API is somewhat difficult - how do you represent something that has a variable number of parameters, in a future-proof manner? What if the protocol adds a new particle with 3 params in the next version? Etc. And you need to decide both C++ and Lua side of things.
Thanks given by:
We could make the function take a variable number of arguments?
Thanks given by:
On the lua side the interface seems obvious, just use varargs. On the c++ side it looks more complicated, and I'd be in favour of completely refactoring of how particle effects are broadcast. I'd personally like to move the logic out of cWorld/cChunkMap/cChunk to simplify things a little.
Thanks given by:
I'm implementing this now. I've gone for an overload that takes a two element array for c++, which won't be used for one element, and varargs for lua. The lua API is extendable to longer data arrays and the c++ API works for now and can be easily extended. I had to add manual bindings for another refactor I'm doing so separate lua/c++ interfaces is not a issue. Whats more of an issue is what do you do if a plugin specifies data and the protocol doesn't support the additional data field. At the moment I'm ignoring it, but I'm not sure if that is the best answer.
Thanks given by: