Connection lag
I've noticed that many people have lag when playing on my server.

I'm joining via local lan connection and even I get it a lot. People oftentimes twitch from one postition to the next, the movement isn't smooth at all.

It's never been really horrible, but you do notice a big difference when comparing this to vanilla. It can't all just be bad connections.

The namelist shows how well people are connected and more often than now, people have 1-2 out of 5 "signal strength".

To be honest I have no idea what this even means. Lag or CRC errors or something. But I've never gotten complaints about this until today. People start suggesting to restart the server once a day in email. Would that help?
Thanks given by:
Did you update the server ?
Is the routing to your server fine ?
ask somebody to run a tracert to your host, and see if it doesn't drop out.

But if you are having it local, then it could be you updated the server, and have a huge amount of mobs as they seem to lag the server in case of a big amount.
If not, you might want to check your hardware, perhaps the server is having trouble reading from the hard-drive cause its slow and its hanging the server ?

You will really need to provide more information as well,
Such as server-specs and what version you are using, are you compiling it yourself what rev, are you using a pre-build one if so which one ?
Don't forget to mention what os you are running it on, and if you are encountering error's while running the server.
Thanks given by:
> Did you update the server ?

I do, every few weeks, sometimes multiple times a week. The lag's kinda always been there.

> Is the routing to your server fine ?

Good idea about the traceroute. I'll try to ask them to do this for me, including the people I don't know.

> But if you are having it local, then it could be you updated the server,
> and have a huge amount of mobs as they seem to lag the server in
> case of a big amount.

I thought that might be it - but nah, it's not that many mobs. Unless there's a place where they all fell into a hole that I don't know of, again. I re-spawn mobs to liven up the world ever other week or so, because they still just .. wander off, disappear. But I'm not putting hundreds of mobs in there, usually less than 50.

> If not, you might want to check your hardware, perhaps the server
> is having trouble reading from the hard-drive cause its slow and
> its hanging the server ?

Raspberry Pi 2, using a class 10 Samsung microSD card.

> You will really need to provide more information as well,
> Such as server-specs and what version you are using,
> are you compiling it yourself what rev, are you using a
> pre-build one if so which one ?

My apologies. Some of the people who work on the project sort of already know most of this, and I just assumed that's everyone.

I'm currently running the downloadable build id: #153 from May 9th on Debian Wheezy, on a Raspberry Pi 2, and I don't encounter any more errors on the server currently. Except maybe the occasional:

[22:23:20] Entity at 0x6f362c48 (cChicken, ID 12825) spawning in a non-existent chunk, the entity is lost.

However, this happened even without me inserting any extra mobs and I just assume that's when they wander off and get stuck somewhere.

I'll try to get some traceroutes done. Server performance is wonderful otherwise and *I* never feel the effects of a lag whatsoever. It's only other players that visibly twitch around on my screen, and when I hold the player list button, everyon seems to have just a few of the "antenna stripes", or what it would be called.
Thanks given by:
Then a tracert would be the first thing i would check out,
But about the current mob situation, not sure how many is many at this moment, perhaps 50 is enough to lag it a bit,

But i doubt that the twitching would come from there.
Thanks given by:
We've pushed a commit which makes the pathfinder work 12 times slower (5 calculations per tick instead of 60), this should minimize any performance costs of the pathfinder.
Thanks given by: