Dropping multi-protocol support
Title says it all. There is no need to have the support for this due to the fact that if you are able to play on one server with different versions it causes problems for the clients. Also, no one plays old vanilla versions. Another thing is that if we dropped support for old versions we would gain more performance.
Thanks given by:
You would be surprised at the number of people that play old protocol versions (mods, old servers, etc.). But I agree, it should be dropped where the versions are not explicitly compatible, since play with those old versions is very buggy.
Thanks given by:
I agree with you in that many people play Minecraft on old versions using the Java version of the Server and Forge. Since we won't support a real mod API in the near future, it's not that useful to keep old versions
Thanks given by:
We still need to keep the possibility of multiple protocol versions, for when MC releases a new version, before the new protocol is implemented. So there's no real gain in performance (and even if we dropped the support, the gain would be minimal).

I don't see a reason to cut of old protocol versions - if they work, keep them.
Thanks given by:
I think your opinion is a leftover from the time where we didn't have a real release strategy. Now that we have one, the stable stuff goes into the testing branch whilst the dev stuff goes into master.
Thanks given by:
I don't see a conflict with the release strategy and keeping muliple working protocol versions.
Thanks given by:
I didn't say anything about validity /Smile
Thanks given by:
^^' Sorry, had already rephrased that by the time you replied. I'd think it would make sense to keep protocols that still work.
Thanks given by:
They aren't conflicting but since we have a release strategy, we can drop the old ones. I seen it many times that people with different MC versions playing on the same server had many difficulties. because there are different blocks available.
Thanks given by:
I think we should drop 1.7, since it no longer works, but keep around the infrastructure for multiple protocol handling, in case two different minecraft versions are released that are compatible apart from protocol differences.
Thanks given by: