Windows phone / Universal app
I'm currently thinking about buying a new phone since my old HTC Wildfire S is really slow lately and the battery runs out really fast. I'm thinking about buying a Windows phone. Pretty much everyone I know who has one is really happy with it, since it runs faster than their previous Android phone even though it was cheaper. The lack of apps shouldn't be a big problem. Or as a friend of mine said: "Windows phone just doesn't have 20 fart apps like Android" (yes he's quite the Microsoft fan Smile ). If needed I can replace some of the smaller apps myself.

What do you guys think about trying to make Cuberite run on a windows phone or as an universal app? Though it wouldn't reach as many people as the Android app it should still reach quite allot with the new Windows 10. Does anyone even know if it's possible to do that?
Thanks given by:
Could be worth investigating a bit, although I'm not exactly sure on how MS limits things for the Universal apps, I have a feeling C++ code is not too suited for integration there.
Thanks given by:
The Minecraft Windows 10 version is a universal app written in C++. It should be possible.
Thanks given by:
Oh, it might be possible for some limited app written from the start with WinPhone in mind, but we have quite a lot of 3rd party library code that need not be supported (LibEvent's networking code is pretty low-level; PolarSSL uses assembly for some functions etc.)
Thanks given by:
Polarssl does have c alternatives for all of its functions and windows 10 does now support winsock, so libevent should work. Sqlite might be more of a problem, though there is apparently a release for windows 10.
Thanks given by:
Brief research indicates that, similar to Android <-> JNI <-> AndroidNative.cpp <-> MCS, something similar could be done for a Universal Windows App by writing a .Net wrapper and loading a compiled library.
Thanks given by:
Its looking even more like having the core of Cuberite as library which various exe's link to is the way to go. I'd be willing to contribute to a windows 10 port.
Thanks given by:
Interesting idea. With the throw-away attitude towards smartphones of today, you could keep your old one around and actually use it as a server for something. These little devices are pretty powerful. I take pride in running this off of a RPi, which is pretty weak in comparison.
Thanks given by:
So I tried integrating the server with a Universal App, and encountered two problems:
  1. No CMake support for now, so all configuration is manual
  2. The entirety of cryptolib is not available, and so polarssl is uncompilable
The polarssl thing is a bit of an issue, so it looks like this isn't easy unfortunately.
Thanks given by:
I just ordered a Lumia 830. It should arrive in 3 days Smile. The 930 is better, but the €120 extra is a bit too much for me.
Thanks given by: