Mob AI.
Any ideas on what should be done with the current AI?

I currently have none.
Thanks given by:
Well they already seem to have the basics of run/follow.
And for wolf attack when attacked.

Might just wanna fix up where they should be allowed to walk and where not.
Just looks so strange seeing the cows etc walk on water.
And squid on land.
Thanks given by:
if you ever will make an new AI for the mobs it doesn't need to be a good AI. it can also be the old AI from before 1.2 (i liked that one moreTongue) i don't know of it is very difficult to make a new AI (it probably is) but if they walk normal (so no teleports anymoreTongue) then it is fine Smile
Thanks given by:
i would say the Mob AI for Passive mobs is fine they walk away when you hit them, thats a nice feature.Big Grin they maybe only need to be a bit smoother. i think only the Hostile mobs AI needs to be better in MC-Server.
Thanks given by:
I think the current AI is very crude and is split across way too many places. So it could use some polishing. And perhaps some helper functions like WalkToBlock(x, y, z) that would schedule the walk onto that block, if possible. Then it'd be really easy to modify AI behavior using plugins, too.

I'm already working on the very first step needed for a better AI, and that is "surrounding block scanning" - the mobs need to be able to query their nearest surroundings (4 blocks away, 16 blocks away etc) and see if they like something in there or for path-finding. For that they need the cBlockArea object that I'm writing right now, so that they don't spam the cWorld:GetBlock() function, which is very low-throughput (it needs to lock the chunk storage, find the correct chunk and only then query the block type). Using the cBlockArea they can make a snapshot of the surroundings and query that snapshot without locking or chunk-traversal. I think it'd be best if path-finding would get a rewrite to use this object, too.
Btw. mobs walk away when you hit them, but if they walk into a tree in that direction, they just stop and stand there, and the server console is spammed with warningsTongue
Thanks given by:
cool maybe can Faketruth or RS2k help you Smile i see RS2K is online nowTongue
Thanks given by: