Minecraft PE support
It will be awesome if you write a server software for minecraft pocket edition. I don't think it will be a big deal for you, because you know a lot about packets , mob AI and etc. Minecraft pocket edition itsef is developing quickly but server softwate for it is awful (best software for it so far is written in PHP , so it is very slow). Think about it, please.
Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome to the forum,

Quote:I don't think it will be a big deal for you
It's actually a really big deal. The protocol is completely different compared to the Java version. We could pretty much throw all our knowledge about the current protocol out of the window.

There are already a few Pocket Edition servers: http://wiki.vg/Pocket_Edition_Program_List There is even someone who created a proxy so that pocket edition and PC edition can play together: https://github.com/DragonetMC/DragonProxy

Also, you're really underestimating the size of such a project. Keep in mind that Cuberite is older than bukkit, but we barely have Beta functionality.

In short, we won't be creating a pocket edition server. Wink

I guess I'm no-one Sad
Thanks given by:
Members please read: Don't use nonsense titles for your threads. No-one's gonna answer a "help me" thread and no developer will ever read a "developers read" thread.
Thanks given by:
We might add PE protocol support, I'm just not sure what would happen if block types differed between PC and PE versions.
Thanks given by:
What does happen if block types differ between versions? I mean I thought server intern you have latest pc physics and only understandable things are sent to the client (or modified like stone variants (eg stone variants are sent as normal stone but handled as granite (eg) so you have granite in the inventory but if you login with different versions you see different equivalents we can send
Thanks given by:
We don't know what would happen. We've never worked with the Pocket Edition. It might ignore the block, but it's also possible it's going to crash.

It's possible that we check each block if it's valid for the client before sending it, but that would require a huge amount of checks. For example, lets say we want to check if half a chunk of dirt is valid for the client. That means 16*16*128 blocks to check. Dirt is the fourth blocktype we have, since we first check if it's air, then stone, then grass. That means 16*16*128*4 is 131072 checks before we finished sending half a chunk.

Please correct me if I'm wrong though. Usually it's xoft who comes with the numbers ^^
Thanks given by:
I'm not sure, but i think there are already all PC blocks in Minecraft PE, but thier textures and functionality are not implemented.
Thanks given by:
There are blocks that are exclusive to some versions, such as the camera block - there's no PC version equivalent of that, and if a PE player placed such a block, it would most likely crash all PC players coming near that block. We could do some filtering, simple substitutions before sending the blocks to clients (replace camera block with a planks block), there's even a fairly performant way to do that (a lookup table), but it's so much work with very little real benefit, that it's unlikely to ever get done, unless someone actually decides it's his lifetime hobby.
Thanks given by:
(01-13-2016, 08:53 PM)SuperCat Wrote: It will be awesome if you write a server software for minecraft pocket edition. I don't think it will be a big deal for you, because you know a lot about packets , mob AI and etc. Minecraft pocket edition itsef is developing quickly but server softwate for it is awful (best software for it so far is written in PHP , so it is very slow). Think about it, please.

Bedrock server software is publicly available https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Bedrock_...r_software

No no need for 'writing code', unless you want to mod it. I usually keep an eye on private servers by hackers to see if it is possible to mod the servers.

The main problem is that most the modding community so far is on the java version of the game and bedrock will probably not come close in moddability for another decade or so and who knows if Minecraft is still a thing then.
Thanks given by: