Simpler "Testing" branch
I think that our plans for the "Testing" branch are not practical and will currently not work. We are simply not stable enough and the branch rules are too strict.

I propose a very simple alternative for the current "Testing" branch strategy: Instead of blocking merges for every crash, only block it for very serious crashes like #3117. The testing branch would be almost as recent as master, only a few days behind to give time for the report of these crashes. Also, the testing branch would wait a bit when huge changes are applied.

This would spawn a practical, relatively stable branch. The downloads at the homepage would point to it, and no newcomer would get a server crash just after chatting (as in #3117).
Thanks given by:
Non-developer here, but I'm wondering. Why do you have a testing branch anyway? Can't you just have a master branch, with all the latest development, and a stable branch? Every once and while you could release a new stable build, which will be distributed on cuberite.org. However if you want all the newest developments and features, you can use the master branch, but knowning that bugs and crashes may happen.
Thanks given by:
(04-02-2016, 08:19 PM)PureTryOut Wrote: Why do you have a testing branch anyway?

"Testing" is needed as a bridge between "Master" and "Stable". Stable branches do not come out of thin air. In order to create a stable branch, you copy "master" into "testing", and then you fix most or all of the bugs in "testing" without introducing any new features to "testing", because new features mean new bugs. Once "testing" has very few bugs, it is copied to "stable".

Our problem is that "testing" gets bugs fixed very, very slowly. By the time it is stabilized, it would be years old. So right now, practically, both "testing" and "stable" are unused.

I propose we change the model. We really can't claim to have a "stable" build yet. A more change-welcoming testing along with the existing master would be better than the current model, in my opinion. Then we could put that testing on the homepage.
Thanks given by:
(04-05-2016, 12:47 AM)LogicParrot Wrote: Stable branches do not come out of thin air.

Oh, I understand - branches come from trees don't they #igetitnow
Thanks given by: