Questions from a CS Student
Hello I am a CS student from the University of Michigan and I have an assignment which requires me to contribute to an open source project.  After doing some research I found myself here because I have primarily worked in the C++ language and my interest in Minecraft.  My assignment requires me to actively try to resolve a bug/bugs, depending upon the complexity of the issue.  This brings me to a few questions I have. I would still consider myself a beginner when it comes to bug fixing therefore is this a community where I could ask a bunch of a questions, though they may seem trivial to you? Do you want someone with lots of experience or should I look elsewhere? Is this an active community?  Next question refers to timing because the assignment report is due December 15th.  Because of my inexperience is it feasible to resolve issues within in this timeframe or will most of this be over my head? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated and if anyone has any questions about me or the assignment please feel free to ask!
Thanks given by: tigerw
Hi, welcome to the forum,

Currently the forum is a bit inactive, but there are quite a few active people on our discord. I can't speak for others in the community, but I'd be willing to give a few pointers if you want to contribute. I'm mostly familiar with the overal architecture of Cuberite, but I'm far from experienced when it comes to C++, so perhaps others would be able to help there. I can't promise I'll be able to answer quickly, as I'm currently going to college as well though. Not to mention that everyone here is working on Cuberite in their spare time. For this reason some pull requests stay open for a while until someone else has the time to review them.

What kind of issues would you like to work on? Some bugs I can quickly come up with are:
  • (easy) Making thunderstorms create thunderbolts around players.
  • (modorate) Creating a new finisher for the world generator to generate large mushrooms in mushroom islands
  • (easy) Creating a new hook for plugins for when a player enchants an item.
(11-03-2020, 08:49 AM)NiLSPACE Wrote: Hi, welcome to the forum,

Currently the forum is a bit inactive, but there are quite a few active people on our discord. I can't speak for others in the community, but I'd be willing to give a few pointers if you want to contribute. I'm mostly familiar with the overal architecture of Cuberite, but I'm far from experienced when it comes to C++, so perhaps others would be able to help there. I can't promise I'll be able to answer quickly, as I'm currently going to college as well though. Not to mention that everyone here is working on Cuberite in their spare time. For this reason some pull requests stay open for a while until someone else has the time to review them.

What kind of issues would you like to work on? Some bugs I can quickly come up with are:
  • (easy) Making thunderstorms create thunderbolts around players.
  • (modorate) Creating a new finisher for the world generator to generate large mushrooms in mushroom islands
  • (easy) Creating a new hook for plugins for when a player enchants an item.

Thank you for the reply! I have yet to determine which issue/s I would like to tackle.  The first part of the assignment is a planning report and I just wanted make to sure I would be accepted and could ask for help if need be.  I will have to explore the source code before I make that type of decision, but thank you for the reply and I will have to join the Discord soon.