Possible to run MCServer on a Raspberry Pi?
Hello All,

I was curious if it would be possible to run a small 2-3 user MCServer on the Raspberry Pi?

The main limitations are a 700Mhz ARM CPU & 256MB of RAM, could increase that by using swap space off the SD card but that would be rather slow.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

The Raspberry Pi is an ultra-low-cost credit-card sized Linux computer.

Model B Specs
Broadcom BCM2835 System-on-a-chip
CPU: 700 MHz ARM-11 ARM1176JZF-S core
RAM: 256MB
PORTS: 2x USB 2.0, SD Card Slot, HDMI & Audio Out, 10/100 wired Ethernet RJ45
Thanks given by:
(02-15-2012, 03:23 AM)frankgg Wrote: I was curious if it would be possible to run a small 2-3 user MCServer on the Raspberry Pi?

Definitely, yes.
Thanks given by:
I've got similar question,can i run 32 user server on Pentium IV 2.8Ghz ,2gb ram(Linux)?
On java it wasn't possible - CPU 100% Sad
Thanks given by:
I don't know, I've never had 32 users on my server
Thanks given by:
There was already a report somewhere here on the forum that the raspberry pi team tried mcs, ran into some minor trouble (unspecified) when compiling but overcame them; but since there is no official information on the RPi webpage, no compiler toolchain, no anything, we can't really say.
It should be possible to run the server on that hardware, right now the memory consumption is about 50 MB for one user, and the sources are quite ripe for this to be tinkered with - limit the number of active chunks per player etc. so technically we could tweak it to fit on the RPi. But until one of the devs actually gets the device and the toolchain, we can't really say anything.
(02-15-2012, 04:34 AM)ReflexLV Wrote: I've got similar question,can i run 32 user server on Pentium IV 2.8Ghz ,2gb ram(Linux)?

Theoretically it should be possible, RAM-wise. I'm not sure about CPU though, MCS is still not very optimized and it is not too high on the priorities list. Even proper multithreading is not yet fully workingTongue
Thanks given by:
(02-15-2012, 06:26 AM)xoft Wrote: There was already a report somewhere here on the forum that the raspberry pi team tried mcs, ran into some minor trouble (unspecified) when compiling but overcame them; but since there is no official information on the RPi webpage, no compiler toolchain, no anything, we can't really say.
It should be possible to run the server on that hardware, right now the memory consumption is about 50 MB for one user, and the sources are quite ripe for this to be tinkered with - limit the number of active chunks per player etc. so technically we could tweak it to fit on the RPi. But until one of the devs actually gets the device and the toolchain, we can't really say anything.

If you want to try to build on virtual RPi-hardware you should check out the following page which has a 3 part tutorial on the subject: http://russelldavis.org/category/raspberrypi-2/

(Russel Davis aka ukscone is _very_ active on the RaspberryPi Forums. He was the one who tried compiling MCS but ran into issues. He didn't overcome the issues Sad but stated that they seemed easy to fix for a C++ developer.)
Thanks given by: