Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation
I'm afraid we can't force the clouds to be below the terrain - haven't seen that in the protocol - but at least we can try reproducing the cool terrain - islands floating in the sky
Thanks given by:
oh Sad ok
Thanks given by:
I think I've come up with what could be an even better biome generator than Distorted Voronoi.
The Voronoi base stays, it's useful. But instead of Noise-based Distortion we could use an algorithm similar to that of Kai's Power Goo (for those of us who remember Wink initialized with a regular grid of random vectors. That way there won't be any "overlaps" as in the distortion, so there won't be any "islands" of one small biome completely engulfed in another.
I need to investigate a bit more.
Thanks given by:
I'm struggling with trees right now. I'd like them to be assorted, like in original MC - small trees, large trees, pines, spruces, birches, jungle trees and jungle bushes. And they all need to be generatable algorithmically, not randomly. Also the number of trees per chunk should be biome-dependent, instead of fixed. Quite a lot of work to do.
Thanks given by:
ok :S
Thanks given by:
I wish i could help Sad

Perhaps I can test it?
Thanks given by:
Right now the server eats up ~1.5 GB of memory just for generating the chunk, and one chunk takes around 40 seconds to generate. Still want to test? Wink
Thanks given by:
oww :S nopeTongue but maybe when it uses less memory and generates chunks faster Smile
maybe can you upload some pictures of the generated worldBig Grin
Thanks given by:
Yes, I want to see too
Thanks given by:
alright alright.Tongue
So I've got birches working, and - partially - apple trees (still missing on the branching part). Also the trees get cut along the chunk borders, that's my primary interest right now.
[Image: newtrees1.jpg]
[Image: newtrees2.jpg]
[Image: newtrees3.jpg]

Really, was that sooo interesting to see?Tongue
Thanks given by: