Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation
It looks awesome Wink
Thanks given by:
Ha! Finally something usable. I like this coloring style. I even tried increasing the heightmap amplitude and frequency and it worked out quite nicely, I'm tempted to leave this in as the Mesa Bryce biome.
[Image: mesa3.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Wooooooow That's looks amazingBig Grin
Thanks given by:
Now I like what I saw Smile
Thanks given by:
Still, it has a bit too much color, I don't feel it's good enough. But how to fix it? Any ideas?
[Image: mesa4.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Maybe generate a bit less white stained clay? That realy stands out.
Thanks given by:
This is from Vanilla, it feels much "cleaner".
[Image: mesa_vanilla1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Propably because MCServer has more mountains.
Thanks given by:
You mix colors allot, and vanilla doesn't. Brown sand should be the must used.
Thanks given by:
Even if you disregard the height and only look at the colors, Vanilla is much better.
I think it might be best to change the coloring algorithm altogether. Now it just mixes random colors in layers of one or two stained clay per one layer of hardened clay, but completely random choice. Might be better to just give it a list of good-looking combinations of layers and let it choose combinations from that list.

There, I've pushed it to Git master, go play Smile
You need to set the composition generator to DistortedHeightMap in order to have the new biomes properly composed.
Also, don't forget that the MultiStepMap biome generator won't generate the 1.7 biomes, either use TwoLevel, or one of the geometric ones - constant or checkerboard, where you can specify the biomes to use.
Thanks given by: