Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation
(08-15-2012, 02:19 AM)xoft Wrote: It looks different from the vanilla world, but it's not bad. Still, I think it deserves a better implementation, so I've added it to the list of easy tasks included into the OreNest refactoring.
R-T-B said he wanted to join the project and he wants to do terrain generation, so I think he may be interested in implementing this.

I did a bit of it in Java code, but to be dead honest, I'm not sure my C++ skills are up to par to start on such a large task (and porting say, PhoenixTerrainMods code to C++ would certainly be non-trivial!). It'll be some time before I can tackle that, as from what I've gathered thus far, C++ is a much more "machine level" language than Java. It reminds me of my days of programing in assembly in a sort of oddball way... It's obviously higher level and thus easier to read than that, but still makes my brain tired after a large session. I think I'll get better at it after I wrap my mind around it though. Smile

One benefit I can immediately see is the additional control it gives you over something like Java, which handles pretty much everything low level for you. This is a double edged sword, I'm pretty sure you could code a terrible program or a very fast one, all depending on how lazy you are in your code... Fortunately even in Java I was always using proper variables and such almost to the point of obsessive compulsiveness with memory efficiency, so I should be right at home.

The next thing I need to do after I do some C++ tutorials is actually code on your project in some form... and that probably means I should load up your server and look at the state of things...Tongue
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some semi-random thoughts on terrain generation - by R-T-B - 08-15-2012, 05:42 PM