Random Chitchat 2012-2016
What adventatges has cmake over make? with make all was easier Sad
Thanks given by:
cmake is multi-platform, it can generate makefiles for unix, visual studio project for windows, xcode project for mac, and several other, too. That should be the main advantage.
Our main problem is that we are quite new to cmake and so it will take some time to get things right.
Thanks given by:
I got MCS working on debug, but then, like tigerw, I cannot get release.
When I compile in release mode I get a debug build.
Thanks given by:
Did you do a "make clean" before reconfiguring by cmake? Have a look at Bearbin's build server, it lists the commands it's using to build.
It might be easiest to keep two folders, one with the debug build, the other with release.
Thanks given by:
Bearbin's builds are debug.
Thanks given by:
On my vps, I am actually getting a debug build when I specifiy release as well.
Thanks given by:
I'm at my parents' now for the weekend, so I don't have access to any of my linux machines, can't help you there. You'll have to survive this for a while.
Thanks given by:
Also, Cmake seems to generate files in-tree. Maybe out-of source cmake would help for seperate builds?

Hmm, this seems true. No release builds for me!
Thanks given by:
I don't like out-of-source builds, I like my projects not to pollute the filesystem anywhere other than their folder. But perhaps cmake works differently and you need some special command to generate release builds? It generates VS projects okay, with both Release and Debug configurations. I'd expect that you'd need to issue a "make release" command in order to build the release version, and that it would put the object files and everything into a different folder. It does so for MSVC.
Thanks given by:
Cmake builds the source into something like src/CMAKE/Bnlob/Blob.o compared to build/release/bnlob/blob.o
Thanks given by: