Setting up on Linux.
Hello everybody !

I'm a computer science student, but i'm also french, so please, i ask you to correct my bad englishConfused
I have learnt C++/OOP during this year and i'm very interested in Server programming for MineCraft.
I was asking me what are the pros and the cons in using a custom server instead of using the minecraft-server provided by Mojang.

But it's not my only reason to post here. I'm new user on Ubuntu, that i found awesome for programming, BUT i meet a problem. I have read the Wiki for set up the file server provided, but when i type the command "wget http://mc-server.org/?uri=MCServer-Linux179.zip" i don't get the MCServer.zip file, but a file named "index.html?uri=MCServer-Linux179.zip".

Is it normal ?

Thanks!

Mirage Smile
Thanks given by:
you need to download MC-Server from here: http://mc-server.xoft.cz/
the newest version is R593
Thanks given by:
(06-12-2012, 05:47 AM)STR_Warrior Wrote: you need to download MC-Server from here: http://mc-server.xoft.cz/
the newest version is R593

Those are only for Windows. Linux users need to compile their own server from sources.

I'm sorry to say, I'm not too good in Linux, either, so I can't help much; but I'd say that filename is a rather arbitrary thing on Linux.

One thing, though - that part of the wiki was last updated about a year ago, I guess; since then the sources have changed much. It'd be best if you could download them directly from SVN, since the 179 version is compatible with, I think, MineCraft's Release 1.0, maybe.
Thanks given by:
I think you can use this command to download the sources from SVN
Code:
svn checkout http://mc-server.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ mc-server-read-only

It should download the source in your current directory (I think) so I suggest you create a directory firstTongue

Then navigate to the trunk directory, and type make. After it's done compiling MCServer, you type ./MCServer to start it.

These instructions might not be too accurate, try fiddling a bit yourselfBig Grin
Thanks given by:
Pros:
  • Perfomance;
  • Open source;
  • Accessable devs;
  • Lua plugins system.

Cons:
  • Not implemented yet features - Nether and Ender world generation/teleports, structures, brewing, enchanting, rails and minecarts, semi-functional redstone, bad mobs AI, shift+click.
Thanks given by:
Thanks a lot all for your answers !

Your command is right Faketruth, i did exactly what you said and it run Smile

Ok very good ! Is there any reason of implementing server in C++ instead of other language ?
Thanks given by:
(06-12-2012, 03:13 PM)Mirage Wrote: Thanks a lot all for your answers !

Your command is right Faketruth, i did exactly what you said and it run Smile

Ok very good ! Is there any reason of implementing server in C++ instead of other language ?

So you did manage to get your server online and playable /w linux on the latest revision? What distro of linux are you using, out of curiousity?

Also, the original minecraft server is written in java which is horrible inefficient and can be slow at times. I love the idea of C++ servers, much more efficient Smile

Thanks given by:
I use last version, that is to say Ubuntu 12.04. Why this question ?

I only tried to play in localhost, i didn't tried to play online with friends.

I like C++ too, but implemanting game like Minecraft in Java may be easier than in C++ no ?
Thanks given by:
(06-13-2012, 04:45 AM)Mirage Wrote: I use last version, that is to say Ubuntu 12.04. Why this question ?

I only tried to play in localhost, i didn't tried to play online with friends.

I like C++ too, but implemanting game like Minecraft in Java may be easier than in C++ no ?

Oh I was just curious. Of course running a server with java is easier, as the java server software is provided by mojang. From a technical standpoint, it may be easier in the short term to use java as a platform, but in the long run java is always going to be much less efficient than any language that runs directly on hardware without the JVM.
Thanks given by:
(06-13-2012, 05:05 AM)fodah Wrote: Oh I was just curious. Of course running a server with java is easier, as the java server software is provided by mojang. From a technical standpoint, it may be easier in the short term to use java as a platform, but in the long run java is always going to be much less efficient than any language that runs directly on hardware without the JVM.

To be fair, the Java Virtual Machine has become a lot better in recent years on the most prevalent platforms. Nevertheless, your points are valid.

You could also look at it the other way around: Why *not* implement it in C++?
Thanks given by: