Valgrind
There's something very rotten in the mobs code. When I try running under valgrind and spawn just a single mob, the server process crashes without any info some time later, at latest when the player logs out. There is no error output from valgrind, except for the memory leaks dump (which is huge because the server is terminated mid-way). I just have no idea what's going on there Sad
Thanks given by:
I'm re-checking stuff with Valgrind again, seems like we have some issues again. Already fixed two minor bugs, who knows what an extended debugging session will bring up.
Thanks given by:
It's bad that there are bugs, but it's good that you're able to fix them Smile
Thanks given by:
Ech, Linux sux big time!

I wanted to use the --vgdb switch in valgrind to be able to connect to it from gdb, because MCServer was crashing in valgrind (but not in normal execution). Turns out my valgrind is too old and doesn't support this option. So I wanted to update; turns out I cannot update individual packages, but rather all of them at once. Still, even after updating, valgrind is too old. wtf? So I try to build valgrind from sources. There's no documentation on the needed prerequisites; compilation dies with "linux/linkage.h: file not found". Searching for that error message turns up nothing useful. So I'm stuck. Sad
Thanks given by:
Looks like you need to install linux-headers (assuming debian). If you're on debian 6, it might be a good idea to upgrade to 7, as it's debain stable now. Maybe even 8, if it's a development box.
Thanks given by:
It's a headless ubuntu server in virtualbox, about a year old, no idea about the version, nor how to find out.

How do I install the linux-headers? is it a package like any other? (sudo apt-get install linux-headers)?

M'kay, sudo apt-get install linux-headers has spat out a ton of alternative names:
Code:
linux-headers-2.6.31-11-rt 2.6.31-11.154
  linux-headers-2.6.32-22-generic-pae 2.6.32-22.36
  linux-headers-2.6.32-22-generic 2.6.32-22.36
  linux-headers-2.6.32-22-386 2.6.32-22.36
  linux-headers-2.6.32-22 2.6.32-22.36
  linux-headers-2.6.31-10-rt 2.6.31-10.153
  linux-headers-2.6.32-21-generic-pae 2.6.32-21.32
  linux-headers-2.6.32-21-generic 2.6.32-21.32
  linux-headers-2.6.32-21-386 2.6.32-21.32
  linux-headers-2.6.32-21 2.6.32-21.32
You should explicitly select one to install.
E: Package linux-headers has no installation candidate
Now what?

And for the curious little man inside me: how do you know what package I need? How does one go from "linux/linkage.h" to "linux-headers"?
Thanks given by:
For the package you need to get, it should be linux-headers-generic.

For how I think you need linux-headers, it's because it's a header file inside a linux folder and valgrind probably needs the linux headers for hooking into processes and stuff, so I thought that linux headers seemed quite likely.
Thanks given by: