Snow regeneration
Hi!
Me, funmaker and Sebi have implemented a new feature for MCServer - snow regeneration.
It's configurable, you can set how it works in world.ini.
Default setting - Vanilla snow regeneration:
Quote:[Physics]
NiceSnow=0
NiceSnow setting (it looks like on the pictures below):
Quote:[Physics]
NiceSnow=1
[Image: mcs_fun.png]
[Image: 1h9ys]
As snow falls it is creating small, smooth snowdrifts.

DL Link: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21041937/NiceSnow.patch

One more thing: funmaker wanted to post this thread but "Akismet system anty-spam" or something denied him and the second time he got perma banned. Can someone unban him please?
Thanks given by:
Nice. I like the patch, I'll just take the liberty of pushing the "snowing code" to a separate function, out of cChunk::Tick().
Also, I'm not so sure about the naming, "nice" is subjective, someone might find that kind of snow terrible. How about calling it "snowdrift" or "highsnow" in the ini file?
or "deepsnow", that might be the most accurate and pronounces well Wink
Thanks given by:
Yeah, it can be deepsnow then.Tongue
Thanks given by:
Patch committed as rev 1000 (congratulations Smile
Thanks given by: Luksor
Woah! Let's celebrate!Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I'm gonna celebrate by going to bed. Should've been there two hours agoTongue
Thanks given by:
There's a slight "problem" with DeepSnow - all flowers, mushrooms, tall grass etc. are considered a full block and snow is cumulated around them. I'm not sure what the solution should be - should these be considered an air block and snow around them disappear, or should it stay?
Thanks given by:
We were thinking about that too but we decided to leave it as it is now. One of the ideas was to remove the flower only when snow around it grew to size 5 for example. What do you think?
Thanks given by:
That would cause most flowers to disappear sooner than the players could reach them. Dunno if that is a problem; it might. Considering a flower equivalent to an air block would seem better. Not sure if current status is better or an air-flower is better.
Also, there's one thing missing from the patch - it forms snow even when there's enough light. I've put a TODO comment there, light leve should be checked before spreading snow.
Snow should melt, too, in lots of light, but that would be best implemented in a slow block handler in the ticking.
Thanks given by:
Is it possible to send flower block as snow block to a client? if so, maybe we should do this when the snow level is over 4.
Thanks given by: