Weird gcc behavior
I'm trying to figure out what's wrong in FS #265 (unable to place torches in linux debud builds)
http://www.mc-server.org/support/index.p...&project=2

The same problem happens in my virtualboxed ubuntu; I've traced it to be the blockchecking code. However, it's plain weird. I've added some logging and this is what I get. From code (BlockHandler.cpp, cBlockHandler::Check() ):
Code:
bool CanBe = CanBeAt(a_World, a_BlockX, a_BlockY, a_BlockZ);
LOGD("CanBe: %d", CanBe);
if (!CanBe)
{
    if (DoesDropOnUnsuitable())
    {
        LOGD("Dropping block at {%d, %d, %d} because it is in an unsuitable place", a_BlockX, a_BlockY, a_BlockZ);
I get the following output:
Code:
[b2179b70|14:25:53] CanBe: 255
[b2179b70|14:25:53] Dropping block at {-9, 66, 7} because it is in an unsuitable place

WTF? if CanBe is 255, then how come the code's taking the if() path???
Thanks given by:
just for fun have you tried if(CanBe == 0) { just for the fun of it just random differences might fix it.
Why its doing this no clue.
As canbe is set normaly i doubt its overwriten .. before its checked.
Thanks given by:
Also, just to be clear, shouldn't CanBe log as 1 in the console instead of 255 normally?
Thanks given by:
It needn't. It's a bool value and any nonzero is "true". That's why I made a commit recently removing all "== true" comparisons - they needn't work as intended, two true values needn't be equal Wink
When I get home (yes, I'm on a train), I'll try putting the CanBe into the log inside the condition, to see if it changed externally; but that is highly unlikely.
Thanks given by:
Hmm, so it seems the standard says that any number can be converted to a boolean according to the rule "zero is false, nonzero is true), but bool veriables only hold the value of zero or one. However, we do a memset(BoolArray, 0xff, ...); which breaks this.

I actually verified this by looking at the disassembly produced by gcc - it checks specifically for the value "1", in the "if (!CanBe)"
Thanks given by:
Ah, interesting. So do a memset(BoolArray, 1, ...); right? Or even change 1 to true

I see you changed it to loop through all indices and set it to true. But memset should work too right? Because it sets memory per byte, and a boolean is a byte in memory
Thanks given by:
I think I've read somewhere that the compiler can decide to have bool whatever size it wants, it's not specified in the standard. And if it indeed used ints, memset won't work.
Optimalizator should be smart enough, anyway, to transform the for loop into something more efficient - usually a memset or equivalent.
Thanks given by:
Yeah I suppose you're right. It's great to have a single standard! /sarcasm
Though there's probably a good reason why it is like it is..
Thanks given by: