RAM Requirements
Hi,

I apologize if this has been asked in another thread but i was wondering what the memory requirements are for MC-Server? Craftbukkit and the vanilla Minecraft server (both written in java) require RAM in excess of 1GB to handle 10 players properly.

Was wondering what your experience, if you've done any testing etc that could provide me this type of information?

Thanks!
Thanks given by:
It mostly depends on how many chunks are loaded at the moment, I am running MCServer without any problems on 768MB RAM machine, some people managed to get it working on 265MB Raspberry Pi ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM1VkDkbMcQ )
Thanks given by:
maybe this is something to post at the feature list.
Thanks given by:
It used to be 80kb per loaded chunk, but obviously that's twice as much now with the twice as high chunks nowadays. So it should be at least 160kb per loaded chunk.
If you put view range to 10, it should load 10x10 chunks per player. 10*10*160 = 16MB per player.

There are much more things in MCServer taking RAM, such as caching things and what not so it'll probably be more than that.
Thanks given by:
Also, players tend to overlap slightly, so it might be less.

Does MCServer also keep the spawn loaded at all times?
Thanks given by:
I don't think so
Thanks given by:
OK, that's just the behaviour of vanilla so I was wondering.

Also, 10 is a radius, not a diameter. So in total the diameter is 21 so it is 21*21*160 (70 megs a player)
Thanks given by:
Yeah, probably :p
Thanks given by:
Whatever the usage you described.. much, much better than Vanilla, Craftbukkit..

Plus C++ > Java IMO
Thanks given by:
I am currently running on a 256meg Raspberry Pi. (see https://forum.cuberite.org/showthread.php?tid=801 )

It runs VERY well. And with the latest release memory and CPU utilization seem to less.

Jump in and have a play if you want.

Server address : pucknell2.homeip.com
Thanks given by: