What do you thing is the best OS for MCServer?
I'm making a public server, and I want to know what's the best OS for MCServer.
I can choose:
Centos 6 (32 bit)
Debian 5 or 6 (32 bit)
Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) or 12.04 (32 or 64 bit)

What OS do you think is the best for MCServer?
Thanks given by:
I'd say 64-bit is better, because if your server ever grows, you can give it more memory beyond the 2 GiB available to 32-bit programs. Other than that, no idea if there's any difference at all. As far as I know, compiling MCServer has been tested on Debian and Ubuntu, so CentOS has a slight disadvantage here because, however unlikely, it just might not work.

I don't think anyone has ever benchmarked MCServer performance on different OSes while on the same hardware, and I believe the performance differences would be negligible.
Thanks given by:
(04-11-2013, 01:47 AM)xoft Wrote: I'd say 64-bit is better, because if your server ever grows, you can give it more memory beyond the 2 GiB available to 32-bit programs. Other than that, no idea if there's any difference at all. As far as I know, compiling MCServer has been tested on Debian and Ubuntu, so CentOS has a slight disadvantage here because, however unlikely, it just might not work.

I don't think anyone has ever benchmarked MCServer performance on different OSes while on the same hardware, and I believe the performance differences would be negligible.
I only have 128mb or RAM and 384 mb or Swap (can be considered RAM)
For me, what do you thing is better, 64 bits or 32?
Thanks given by:
With this little RAM I don't think your server will survive public access. I'm not even sure if it'll run at all - how much RAM is left after the OS boots?

I'd go with the OS that takes the least RAM, then. Google it up, I don't have any measurements - hey, until recently I didn't even have a Linux machine Wink So I'm a noob.
Thanks given by:
I'd say use Debian 6 x86. It's got loads of guides on the web, it uses quite a good package management system and it's quite a light OS.

However, your ram seems very low Sad

Also, make sure you know the basics of linux programs, bash and such if you don't already.
Thanks given by:
I think any of those distro will work, but you will have to configure it to use the least amount of RAM possible. So probably, you will have to recompile the kernel and select only the modules for the hardware that you have, preferably as built-in modules (you will lose some flexibility that way). I'll recommend not enabling x11 and/or any GUI desktop and not running any daemon that it is not absolutely necessary. Just keep in mind, that since you don't have that much ram, the server will not have great performance.
Thanks given by:
The problem is that MCServer doesn't have any memory limiting engine, so it's quite easy for it to run out of memory and hence crash. There is a flyspray issue for this, but it's gonna take some time before it's implemented.
Thanks given by:
(04-11-2013, 04:03 PM)xoft Wrote: The problem is that MCServer doesn't have any memory limiting engine, so it's quite easy for it to run out of memory and hence crash. There is a flyspray issue for this, but it's gonna take some time before it's implemented.
Please when you can please implement it.
I had a bukkit server with more than 5 players connected at the same time in the same server, so MCServer should support 10 players at least.
Thanks given by:
(04-11-2013, 10:37 PM)tonibm19 Wrote:
(04-11-2013, 04:03 PM)xoft Wrote: The problem is that MCServer doesn't have any memory limiting engine, so it's quite easy for it to run out of memory and hence crash. There is a flyspray issue for this, but it's gonna take some time before it's implemented.
I had a bukkit server with more than 5 players connected at the same time in the same server, so MCServer should support 10 players at least.

5 players on bukkit with that as a max memory cap damn.
Did you have some special plugins installed or something ?
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2013, 04:57 AM)ThuGie Wrote:
(04-11-2013, 10:37 PM)tonibm19 Wrote:

5 players on bukkit with that as a max memory cap damn.
Did you have some special plugins installed or something ?
No, I only had essentials, Authme, Plots among others.
Thanks given by: