Starting new server, need a little help.
Hi Friends.

I had a friend hosting our minecraft server and he decided to take it down.

I had enough old hardware lying around that I built a webserver and decided to host our own linux box.

My friend who ran the server ran MCServer.

Well, I got the original Minecraft.jar server download to run just fine, so I wanted to use MCServer because of it using less resources and whatnot.

Is it possible to run from the command line?
Thanks given by:
short answer: yes

long answer:
yes, just download the latest linux build
opem terminal and go to wherever you downloaded it to
i believe its a tar.gz file isnt it?... so type:
tar -xzvf mcserver.tar.gz
^ obviously change mcserver.tar.gz to the actual name of your downloaded file
change directory in to the newly unzipped mcserver, setup the settings and stuff how you want to then do - ./MCServer (in the root directory of the mcserver folder)
or if you are sshing in to the server, do:
screen ./MCServer
to keep the server running when you close the ssh session. you can reopen the console later by typing:
screen -r

hope this helps Smile
Thanks given by:
Awesome, I just put that on the wiki haha
http://mc-server.org/wiki/doku.php?id=install
Thanks given by:
haha Smile
Thanks given by:
Sweet, thanks guys. Got it working.

A few more tips that could go on the wiki along with a few questions.

Questions : Ram allocations.

So with the MCAlpha server i was running I ran like -Xmex 1532 and a NOGUI command while running the server, is this not neccsarry? What If I wanted to allocate more ram to MCServer?

What are the main differences between this MCServer and the Mojang server?

Wiki stuff -

I'd make it a step-by step from a basic linux install.

-Checking for Java install

-Installing Java

-When downloading the MCServer.tar.gz I had to downloaded it, put it on my FTP, and re-downloadit from there because the link for downloading on the site is not a direct link to the file, so the wget command didn't work right.

Thanks for the help and knowledge, hope I can return the favor. Once I get the server setup right I will add the IP. I run it from home, but I do have Fiber Internet and am running the linux box on a AMD Athlon64 2.2ghz w/2gigz ram.

Cheers

Thanks given by:
(04-03-2011, 01:55 AM)FragStarz Wrote: Sweet, thanks guys. Got it working.

A few more tips that could go on the wiki along with a few questions.

Questions : Ram allocations.

So with the MCAlpha server i was running I ran like -Xmex 1532 and a NOGUI command while running the server, is this not neccsarry? What If I wanted to allocate more ram to MCServer?
You can't allocate RAM for MCServer, it does that by itself. Allocating RAM is a Java thing...

(04-03-2011, 01:55 AM)FragStarz Wrote: What are the main differences between this MCServer and the Mojang server?
Just try it, the main differences should be quite obvious

(04-03-2011, 01:55 AM)FragStarz Wrote: Wiki stuff -

I'd make it a step-by step from a basic linux install.

-Checking for Java install

-Installing Java
You don't need Java for MCServer

(04-03-2011, 01:55 AM)FragStarz Wrote: -When downloading the MCServer.tar.gz I had to downloaded it, put it on my FTP, and re-downloadit from there because the link for downloading on the site is not a direct link to the file, so the wget command didn't work right.
This is a direct link: http://mc-server.org/?uri=MCServer175.tar.gz

You can get it when you click on the download link on the site, and it says if the download doesn't start click here (that's a direct link)

(04-03-2011, 01:55 AM)FragStarz Wrote: Thanks for the help and knowledge, hope I can return the favor. Once I get the server setup right I will add the IP. I run it from home, but I do have Fiber Internet and am running the linux box on a AMD Athlon64 2.2ghz w/2gigz ram.

Cheers

Cool, good luck Smile
Thanks given by:
(04-02-2011, 04:18 PM)FragStarz Wrote: Hi Friends.

I had a friend hosting our minecraft server and he decided to take it down.

I had enough old hardware lying around that I built a webserver and decided to host our own linux box.

My friend who ran the server ran MCServer.

Well, I got the original Minecraft.jar server download to run just fine, so I wanted to use MCServer because of it using less resources and whatnot.

Is it possible to run from the command line?

OFFTOPIC: can i have the minecraft.jarBig Grin
Thanks given by:
(04-19-2011, 10:24 AM)baothai Wrote: OFFTOPIC: can i have the minecraft.jarBig Grin

http://www.minecraft.net/download/minecraft.jar
Thanks given by:
Now I just need a full guide to set up server and everything
Thanks given by:
Hey every one im new and well starting a new server but i cant find the IP Huh or A.K.A the Server Addres
Thanks given by: