Random Chitchat 2012-2016
Use Vim.

Jokes aside, no not really. I don't think there are many IDE's which work with all languages. I honestly like it better if an IDE focusses on 1 language at a time, but that may just be me.

For PHP/HTML/CSS/JS, I would look into Atom. By default just a <sarcasm>glorified text editor</sarcasm>, but has tons of plugins which in total can make it a fully featured IDE. Also has tons of plugins for other languages. If you want a fully featured IDE out of the box, definitely PHPStorm from Jetbrains. Do note that it's proprietary (which I'm fully against, but you might not be).

C#, well the only actual IDE is MonoDevelop, but don't count on it being a 1-on-1 Visual Studio replacement. It's pretty good as far as I know though. But of course, regular text editors work fine as well. And I think JetBrains has a IDE for it as well, Rider (Resharper integrated).

C++, either Code::Blocks, or JetBrain's CLion.
Thanks given by:
Ehm, I don't know how much this costs (but I think it's pretty expensive) and/or if you will fall under the free tier (there is a package for Foss projects, for example, so you can probably apply as core committer). This is NO ADVERTISING

https://jetbrains.com

Only for Java there is the community edition afaik. To keep it complete: android studio (the official) is intellij idea (java) with addition for android, the community edition; Google appearantly prefers this one Wink. Each of them are different programs but apart from language specific stuff the same interface (and very powerful tools). CLion (for c++) only works with cmake but I think we have that. And c# does only work on Windows, right?
Thanks given by:
Anyone know of an IDE that would work over SSH? And I mean text mode, not X-forwarding. Just like the old days with Borland's TurboC. That would actually be awesome.

So far I've been using QtCreator for Linux development, but unfortunately X-forwarding is not too good when working remotely. It takes too much bandwidth and is laggy, and quite often bugs out (windows half dead, menus not appearing etc), at least in combination with XMing server. I'd really prefer to use something console-based. But NOT vim / emacs, I want normal keyboard behavior.
Thanks given by:
Oh finally be going to start making a semi normal home serverBig Grin.
2 * intel octa with hyper so 16 cores 32 threads and 64gb of ram, seems cpu and mobo support higher but have not been able to get my hands on higher memory banks Sad
so 8 * 8 dd3 ecc
16gb banks are pain to get and expensive.
socket will be 2011-v2 instead v3 as again the price so high..

probably will be setting it up with proxmox unless somebody knows a better piece of software ? Smile

OH Reason why i am changing my home server.. all sata ports died.. yeah pci-e card works fine so kinda weird, but before it broke even more i gave it to somebody to mess with.
Thanks given by:
Well, i am working a lot with tmux and nano, tmux is a terminal multiplexer where you have one ssh session, multiple windows (you can switch between them) and you can detach and later attach and even loose connection or attach on a different device and the state is preserved.

Nano is just the basic text editor, supports some (but not too clever) syntax highlighting based on file ending but not ide features. Sometimes miss them, but I use that for server development as I frequently use different host machines and wanna keep the same state. Just keep another tmux window open with the compilation and running command.

For completeness: grep is your very powerful search engine and you can use the compile script with parameters to just have one compile command. And I generally recommend the use of tmux if you are working via ssh, because nothing is lost if you get a broken pipe and you can easily detach and later attach. You can also script that with two lines (tmux attach in your bash profile and a line in the tmux config that makes tmux create a new session if no session exists but you try to attach)
Thanks given by:
There are no IDE's CLI only. If you want CLI only, either start learning Emacs or Vim (seriously, they're great once you're settled in), or use Nano. Nano is however only a simple text editor, it can't do anything advanced.

(10-07-2016, 06:38 AM)Cl1608Ho Wrote: And c# does only work on Windows, right?

No, it works fine on Linux, macOS, *BSD, as well. However, you have to use Mono instead of .NET. Jetbrains C# IDE even works on Linux.
Thanks given by:
Ugh.. In the weekend I completely wiped my new harddrive and reinstalled Windows because i still had trouble with it. Result: Still trouble. I removed the harddrive and it worked again, so tomorrow I'm returning it.
Thanks given by:
Meanwhile my sister asked me to install Linux for her since Windows 10 was being annoying again Wink
Thanks given by:
I'd love to, I need it for school ☹
Thanks given by:
Today my fat butterfingers caused the quadcopter to take a bath in a mud puddle. Surprisingly, nothing happened, it still lives and flies. This thing is indestructible =O
Thanks given by: